Bags to carry my gear

Kim

Now that I've added a few lens to my gear, I don't know what to carry it all in. I ordered a Lowe DryZone 200 bag (it's waterproof) because I like to canoe and when I go hiking it's like a little rain cloud follows me around. I got it today and I like the lay out of it and the fact that it's waterproof but it seems kinda big. What does everyone else use? Do you have a couple different bags for different occasions? By the way, I've added a 70-200VR, a 12-24 f/4, and a 1.4 TC to the 18-70 I already had. I'd love to hear any suggestions or ideas anyone has. Thanks!

Hi Kim, I'm using a Velocity 9 slingback bag. I can fit my D2X, 300/4 w/1.4x, 80-200/2.8, 35-70 and 60 micro with not much room to spare. It's heavy but I always figure I'll regret not having the appropriate lens with me when I need it. Lately I've been going on "specialized" missions and pack accordingly, to save on weight.

I looked at some of the other backpack type bags but decided against them because of their size.

Hey Kim,

I also use a Tamrac Velocity 9 slingback bag. It's a toploader and I can tote around my D2H, 28-70mm, 70-200mm and SB-800 with some room to spare. If I had to purchase the bag again, I might consider adding a few dollars and buy a backpack-style bag that zips open for a complete access rather than a toploader.

Kim

Thanks for your help I, too, have been looking at the backpack style and they do look kinda big. I found a Lowe Pro Zoom Top loading bag that I might try. It can hold the camera with the 70-200VR and 1.4X attached with room for extra stuff. Once again, thanks!

There is no such thing as the perfect bag IMO. Currently I have 4 different ones, and I'm looking for another.

I have been using a Lowepro Mini AW Roller (backpack with wheels) and it is a nice bag. Not too big and comfortable to carry. It will take most of the gear in my sig. However, equipment lust being what it is, I am already outgrowing it :shock:

I agree with John about there being no perfect bag. I need another like a hole in the head but yet I look at them when I'm in the store. Now I understand why ladies have so many purses! ;)

Another bag to consider that's a backpack is the Kata line. I think it was model R-102 but recently was upgraded to R-103. It's a classic backpack but has a zippered opening on the face to quicly access your gear. Might be worth a look.

Lately I've become a fan of Crumpler bags. What I particularly like is that they look nothing like a camera bag from the outside. I have their Puppet backpack in red and it looks just like a regular backpack. When I'm working in urban areas it's nice to have a bag that doesn't shout "steal me" all over it.

The other nice thing about Crumpler is that all their stuff is modular. Basically the insert that makes my backpack a camera pack can be pulled out and I can use it has a regular backpack. It's also got a removeable sleeve that fits my 12" Powerbook perfectly. The only downside is that because everything it modular there is a lot of velcro and extra padding that makes them a little strange to use and also takes up some space. I'd suggest trying one out if you can.

Build quality is wonderful, and I believe all their stuff is made from Cordura. This also means they are fairly water resistant.

I'm not sure where you are located, but the Crumpler store in NYC has all the line up and there is a dealer locator on their website.

Kim

Mike, I've never heard of that brand but I'll do a search and see if they've got something I'm looking for. It sounds promising! Thanks!

People love or hate backpacks. I love 'em.
Your Dryzone it the best thing for kayaking, Max protection...not very accessable. It's special purpose wet pack. For that I love mine.
Quickest access , minimal protection...I love my Domke. FWIW you definitely will LOOK like a photog with it slung. Domke's mailman shoulderpad is super.
My little baby nylon Pelican shoulder zip 140 holds D2x and 2 lenses. Very stealthy.
For easy carry hands free the micro trekker Lowepro is minimalist functionality for only 45 bucks.
For heavy schlepping load a big backpack, whichever, to go haulin.
A big wheeled airline Pelican vault is my next want.

And a bit OT...I think the Upstrap straps are superlative.

AND , yes, check the Crumpler site. Cute to the point of annoying. Made me smile.

http://www.crumplerbags.com/home.php

I currently have 2 bags that I use regularly.

For work - Kata R-103 backack - holds D70 with a 70-200 f2.8 attached, with SB-600, 1.4x & 2.0x teleconvertors, Kenko tubes and 24-70 f2.8 lens with space to spare. I use is for work as it carries a laptop as well. Great bag.

For weekend use - I use a Lowepro Nova 4 AW - holds most of the above with the 24-70 attached. Tend to leave the Kenko tubes out as well. Its a little easier to carry when out and about with the family.

Probably do with another even smaller kit bag for everyday use - something like a toploader zoom where I can fit in one of the teleconvertors as well.

mf44 said:
Lately I've become a fan of Crumpler bags. What I particularly like is that they look nothing like a camera bag from the outside. I have their Puppet backpack in red and it looks just like a regular backpack. When I'm working in urban areas it's nice to have a bag that doesn't shout "steal me" all over it.

The other nice thing about Crumpler is that all their stuff is modular. Basically the insert that makes my backpack a camera pack can be pulled out and I can use it has a regular backpack. It's also got a removeable sleeve that fits my 12" Powerbook perfectly. The only downside is that because everything it modular there is a lot of velcro and extra padding that makes them a little strange to use and also takes up some space. I'd suggest trying one out if you can.

Build quality is wonderful, and I believe all their stuff is made from Cordura. This also means they are fairly water resistant.

I'm not sure where you are located, but the Crumpler store in NYC has all the line up and there is a dealer locator on their website.

I was also a fan of crumpler bags. However, I found that it was too stiff for me. I got a Domke F2 instead.

faenix said:
I was also a fan of crumpler bags. However, I found that it was too stiff for me. I got a Domke F2 instead.

I've got a F2, as well. I like it a lot, but its obvious you've got camera gear in it when you carry it. If it's not clear already, I hate looking like a tourist or a photographer.

I think one of the reasons the Crumpler gear is so stiff is because of the modularity. There are more layers of velcro, Cordura, foam, etc because of that fact. I like that in my backpack, though, because I'm not worried about the bag holding its shape...it just does, no matter how much or how little I put in there. In a soft pack you need to make sure to adjust cinch straps everytime if you don't pack it to capacity, otherwise I find there is some wiggle room for my gear. I don't like stuff moving around, especially because I'm using a pack so I can be mobile. I don't want to be running several blocks to cover something and feel my 70-200 rolling around on my back.

To be honest, however, I agree with you about the stiffness when it comes to the shoulder bags. I'm not a huge fan of them in general. Come to think of it, aside from travel, I'm not a big fan of shoulder bags, period. I have a small waist pack I got from EMS that I can fit a 70-200, SB-800, SC-29, batteries, and anything else I'd need. I just carry my bodies over my shoulder, and I'm golden.

Anyways, I apologize for my digression.

Ibn

Love my Crumpler bag also(Budgie Smuggler, which would be too small to carry that list of gears of yours). I've owned it for about 3 months or so and it's my lightweight setup. D70 with attached 17-55mm lens, SB-800, lots of batteries for flash, couple of extra batteries for the D70 (also the CR2 battery carrier), and a 40GB PD7X all fit in the bag. There's a strap on the side of the bag which holds my feisol if I need to haul it around.

Before that, I had a Lowepro mini trekker aw which I outgrew (great bag and would be a good fit for your list) . Eventually picked up a phototrekker aw II, which has been in the field twice. Just a bit too much to carry. It sits in the corner of the room right now and is used for storage reasons.

J

JordanLFW

Tamrac Pro8 for my d70 with 18-70 and 70-300 nikkor lenses, a Vivitar Series 17-210 Macro, and Flash with PLENTY of room for grey cards, manuals, charges, etc.

FWIW, I had a Velocity 7 bag but I sold it. The sling is really uncomfortable for a woman once it is loaded up with gear. I would imagine that the Velocity 9 would be even more so,

linm said:
FWIW, I had a Velocity 7 bag but I sold it. The sling is really uncomfortable for a woman once it is loaded up with gear. I would imagine that the Velocity 9 would be even more so,

Your statement about the Velocity 7 bag is true, yet I still seem to carry it a lot. I also had a Velocity 9 bag but I gave it to a good friend. It was too big for me and it was difficult to access my gear.

I recently purchased the Pro Roller 1 by Lowe Pro for storage purposes. It was expensive, but it worked out great from vacation. I typically carry the Velocity 7 with one additional lens and the SB800 lying across the top or the Mini Trekker 200.

As everyone has mentioned previously, it is difficult to carry just one bag. Especially if you have the 70-200VR lens. If I am only using the 70-200VR with the TC17E or Canon 500D, then I use a Lowe Pro TLZAW. It holds the lens, teleconverter, close up filter and a few accessories.

I've noticed that I stopped purchasing purses and started purchasing camera bags for all occasions! :shock:

:lol:

Multiple Bags for Multiple Purposes

Over time, I seem to have acquired or fashioned a camera bag for all my possible camera/lens combos.
Here's a listing of my bags with the largest items they could comfortably hold.

1. Old 1980's rectangular Tenba bag for D70 with telezoom (but not 70-200), plus SB 800. Nice compact profile. Shoulder Bag.

2. Adorama Slinger for D70 with telezoom (but not 70-200), plus a prime lens (up to 85mm), SB 800. Nice compact profile, wished they made a slightly larger version. Sling Bag.

3. Tamrac Velocity 9 for D2H or D70 with 70-200 (barely), plus 1-2 prime lenses (up to 180mm), SB 800. My monopod can attach to it and it's good for walks in the woods. Wish it could stand alone. Sling Bag.

4. Kata Banana for D2H/D70 with 70-200, 2nd body, 28-70 or a few prime lenses, SB800, and room for a slew of accessories. Event shooting. Shoulder Bag.

5. Bob Crist bag for everything I own. Relatively lean profile given its amazing capacity, stands alone. Shoulder/Backpack Bag.

6-7. Small and medium tool bags converted to a camera bag using cut-up foam floor squares for bottom padding and as-needed sections.
Shoulder Bags.

I've given up on finding one bag that fits all my needs. It's probably me; as I acquire more and more gear, I've simply become too needy!

Glenn

SRA

Picked up a Computrekker and found it meets my needs. Sturdy, solid, thickly padded, and modular. Would recommend it for the Pro camera shooter.

Latest threads

Top Bottom