1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Baja California #10 - Leaping Mobula Rays from a Zodiac

Discussion in 'Birds' started by bobhoge, Apr 11, 2007.

1. As told in post #9, the Mobula Rays with 12-foot wingspans were leaping a distance from the ship and then moved closer. The activity declined and the photographers were offered a sunset zodiac cruise to photograph the Los Islotes shoreling. During that ride, the Mobula Ray leaping returned and came very close. We started to discuss what to do if a 12 foot Ray jumped in our 14 foot zodiac :eek:  :eek:  .

I have not tried to level the horizons since we were bouncing a lot and the edge of the wave tops may not have been level.
    We found a dead one on the beach a few days later, that tail is about 8 feet long and felt like 1/8" steel cable, virtually no taper to it.:confused: 

These are shot at 120 to 140 mm :cool: 
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

142471235-L.

Bob & Nan

2. Timeout

Timeout

May 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Wow, these are amazing! Great timing on your shots too. I especially like the last shot, 2 Rays for the price of one! :eek: 

3. Lowolf

Lowolf

Jan 26, 2006
    Oregon
    these are incredible images ty

4. Baxter

Baxter

Jan 8, 2007
    Clemson, SC
    These are amazing! All the shots you're posting are a real treat. Thanks for taking the time to share them.

5. My favorites were numbers 4 & 5! These are great and a great series. Thanks so much for posting and sharing! :wink:

6. snownow

snownow

Jul 13, 2006
    so cal
    WOW, a stunning Job

7. I'm speechless. I had no clue rays left the water. Fantastic results!

8. Simply awesome Bob.............

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    That is just amazing . To see this had to be a thrill
    The last one is a wall hanger

Thank You Bob and Nan for sharing all this great nature with us as you have

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.