Baja California #15 - Sperm Whales - Where is Capt. Ahab?

Discussion in 'Birds' started by bobhoge, Apr 15, 2007.

1. While on our adventures in Baja, we saw two groups of Sperm Whales on different days. One group numbered more that 50 and the other group more than 70 individuals. Sperm Whales are the largest of the toothed whales and can be as large as 60 feet long (maybe 15 feet longer than the Grey or Humpback Whales more often sighted.) This is the whale with the large head like the one in "Moby ****"

This looks like a bunch of logs floating in the water, but it is part of one of the two groups we saw. I count about 11 whales in this photo:cool: :cool:
    [​IMG]

This one has its head farther out of the water so you can see a bit more of the shape:
    [​IMG]

The toothed whales have a single blowhole and the baleen whales have two blowholes. The Sperm Whale has its single blowhole offset to the left side of its head:
    [​IMG]

This dive sequence is shot at 340 mm:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More Sperm Whales in #16,
    Bob & Nan

2. WOW! I'm always fascinated by whales! And you get to see them and photograph them! Please keep em comin! I'm really liking these!

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Super tail shots

4. vettenut

vettenut

Feb 27, 2006
    Tolland CT
    Nice shots, too bad these guys don't do any aerobic exits out of the water like other species, they just move along and dive for food for extended periods of time. At least one lifted up it's head for you a bit. - Jeff

5. bob swanson

bob swanson Guest

Bob & Nan - What an adventure. Did you just luck out or was what you've experienced predicted by your guides?
    bsvirginian

6. Hi Bob,

Your question is a bit difficult to answer. A) The Lindblad Expeditons brochure indicated that there were good chances of seeing most of the creatures that we found, but unlike the zoo, or Disney World, the animals may or may not choose to turn up on the particular date and time that your ship is there. B) I think we were lucky, but not unusually lucky, sightings like these are fairly normal on these trips.

This is just a guess, but if you took this same trip next year, you would probably see 70 to 85% of the same species that we saw and you might see another 15 to 30% of your sightings of animals we did not see. We took shorter trips to Baja with Lindblad in 1992 and 1997. In 1992 (10 day trip)we saw Fin Whales, but no Blue Whales and only 2 people touched Grey Whales. In 1997 (7 day trip) we saw Blue Whales, but no Fin Whales and again only 2 people got to touch a Grey Whale. In 2007 (14 day trip) we saw both Fin and Blue Whales and I think everyone got to pet a Grey Whale.

We have traveled with Lindblad Expeditions many, may times since 1990 and have had great trips time after time. They really have a knack for finding interesting things to look at and photograph. We have found that almost everything listed in the brochure as a potential sighting is seen and that there are many more neat things that are not listed.

Anyhow, I hope this helps. I have a PDF version of their 2007 Baja brochure. It might help you see if this is something you might want to do (Highly recommended!!!) If you would like to see it, send me a Private Message and I will email it to you. (anyone else is also welcome)

Bob & Nan