Baja California #27 - Critters at the Tideline

While visiting the uninhabited islands in the Sea of Cortes we were able to see some of the smaller creatures that live at the tideline.

The very colorful Sally Lightfoot Crabs are running around on many of the rocks. Taken from a moving zodiac:
145956222-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

145956450-L.jpg

On Isla San Francisco we hiked across the island to a good tidepool area. The naturalists took plastic buckets and collected several specimens for us to look at (and then returned them to the pools when we were finished so they will be there when you go.):
This is a Spiny Brittle Star:
145955765-L.jpg

This is a Sunflower Star top side:
145955683-L.jpg

and bottom side:
145955722-L.jpg

I think this is called a Slate Pencil Urchin:
145955639-L.jpg

There was also this skeleton of a Mahi-mahi (or dolphin (fish not mammal))
145955812-L.jpg

And I think this is a Spotted Porcupine Fish that has only has one upper tooth and one lower tooth. The similar looking Puffer has two upper and two lower teeth.
145955898-L.jpg

145955953-L.jpg

Bob & Nan

Last edited by a moderator:
Each of these posts is whetting my appetite for a trip like yours. This is one is very interesting - I think the sixth shot is a slate pencil sea urchin (named from the time when children were taught to write on slates). The last specimen is a porcupine fish, it has two front teeth in each jaw, but they fuse together to make a sort of beak.

Alan

Each of these posts is whetting my appetite for a trip like yours. This is one is very interesting - I think the sixth shot is a slate pencil sea urchin (named from the time when children were taught to write on slates). The last specimen is a porcupine fish, it has two front teeth in each jaw, but they fuse together to make a sort of beak.

Alan

Hi Alan,

You are correct on both ID's. I need to pay more attention to my notes (both reading them and writing them) and check with Nan before trying to get these posts up, or wait for the ID list from the Lindblad naturalists to come in the mail (it arrived today!!)

I highly encourage you to look at this trip (or one like it) for next year or whenever. As I indicated I have lots of extra information that I can share so be sure to ask if you have any questions.

I'll go up and edit the ID's.

Here is one more that you might enjoy, a Chocolate Chip Star (sure helps to have the Fish ID list from the trip :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ):
146328289-L.jpg

Thanks,
Bob & Nan

Latest threads

Top Bottom