Baja California #3 - Whale Snot on Your Lens

Discussion in 'Birds' started by bobhoge, Apr 9, 2007.

1. One of the problems of being so close to the Grey Whales is that you get sprayed by the spouting and also splashed sometimes. Seems that they don't know how much the camera gear costs :tongue:

This guy is about to get it (if not bumped out of the zodiac first)
    [​IMG]

Incoming whale snot DUCK :eek:
    [​IMG]

Looks like that lens needs another wipe :rolleyes:
    142486451-L.

Maybe I just moved it into the upper right quarter, wipe it again:
    142470249-L.

Bob & Nan

2. amazing!!!

3. I meant to add that last image is touching and I am not trying to be funny (for a change)

4. Brian-S

Brian-S

Feb 10, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    looks like a filter's a MUST here!

Brian

5. Yvette

Yvette

Jan 3, 2007
    Texas
    Wow, that must be amazing to be so close to them. Thanks for sharing with us.

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    wowo

7. WOW, to think you can actually touch one of these wonderful creatures!? WOW! yeppers, I think a filter would do the trick! In fact, have a couple spares and just change em out! Keep on shootin!

8. Hi Diane,

That is a great idea! If we ever go again I'll add one or two extras. It is hard to stop to clean the lens with the little zodiac bouncing and all the excitement with the whales.

Bob & Nan

9. Andyc

Andyc

Nov 6, 2006
    South Wales UK
    Wonderful pictures of a magnificent creature and you got to touch them.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Andy

10. pjwarneka

pjwarneka

Oct 30, 2006
    Does Hoya make a WS filter? ( whale snot)

cool photos.

11. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Hey-Zeus! You can't get within 500 feet in Hawaii. Amazing shots. I'm jealous.

12. That's amazing! Wonderful..... Does the boat chase the whales, or sit and wait for the whales to come to you?

13. Hi Sandi,

It is a bit of both. The Sea Lion anchors in the Pacific outside of the shallow San Ignacio Lagoon and we then ride in by Zodiac, maybe a 10-15 minute ride. We then look for whale spouts and head in that direction. The whales then decide if they want to come by for a visit.

We took three rides, about 2 hours each, into the lagoon over a day and a half. There were six total rides, half the ship on each set of two rides. With 4 zodiacs there were about 6 or 8 people on each zodiac.

Nan & I had friendly encounters on each of our three rides. There were three whales that worked both sides of our zodiacs so everyone on board could touch. We had at least three more that were more timid and either stayed just out of reach, or only allowed one or two to touch.

One time we were heading for a spout when another youngster we did not see came along side and demanded to be touched. Mom was right behind and wanted a pat also. Sometimes the moms get beneath the youngsters and lift them up to us, like showing off their offspring.

We are not offering any reward other than the touching, so the behavior is quite odd. It only started happening about 20 years ago, and it has gone from very rare to fairly regular over that time. The researchers say that the moms are not even eating during this time.

Lindblad has kayaks on board, but they have not allowed them to be used for whale watching:eek:

Bob & Nan

14. Gosh...Simply spectacular. The last one is amazing. Need to go look at the others.

What fun...Thanks for sharing.