Baja California #9 - Leaping Mobula Rays from the Ship

Discussion in 'Birds' started by bobhoge, Apr 11, 2007.

1. The Sea of Cortes has both the large Manta Rays (20 foot wingspan) and the smaller Mobula Rays (12 foot wingspan)

While anchored at Los Islotes we saw a large group of Mobula Rays leaping out of the water, maybe a half-mile from the ship. This group moved a bit closer and we were able to get some photos from the bow of the Sea Lion. They would often leap two or three times in a row, so you could get a lucky shot:

(All at 340mm)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

now a bit closer to the ship:
    [​IMG]

The activity seemed to decline a bit and the photographers were offered a zodiac ride to get some sunset shots by the islet. The Mobula Ray leaping returned and came much closer. I'll put those shots in post #10.

Bob & Nan

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wow very interesting.
    You things jumping all over the place:>))

3. Wonderful, but that last one is stunning!

4. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Hey-Zeus! What didn't you see on this trip? Fantastic grabs my friend!

5. Yvette

Yvette

Jan 3, 2007
    Texas
    Wow. I have never seen that before. Great captures.

6. Good shots. I bet that you'll remember that for a long time. A couple years ago I was in Mexico going out in a boat to do some snorkeling and a humpback whale with a smaller humpback about 150-200 feet from the boat were coasting along beside us for a about 20-30 minutes. I wish I had my camera becuase that was way more exciting to me than the snorkeling.