Baja California - Sensory Overload

Nan & I just got back from a two week trip to Baja California. It was a spectacular trip!!!

I'll use this thread to give trip details, but most of the photos will be in "Birds and Animals" and in Landscapes. I'll put links to those photos here as I get around to all the photo posts.

We went with Lindblad Expeditions. We have traveled with them many times and they do an exceptional job. http://www.expeditions.com/
They do several different trips to Baja, depending on the wildlife available at the time.
If you want to see (and maybe even touch) the Grey Whales you need to look at the one week trip Among the Great Whales We have done this trip twice (1992 and 1997) but this time we took a two-week version called Baja: A Remarkable Journey (not yet on the 2008 schedule, but should be soon). They usually only do the two-week version once a year at the end of the Grey Whale season.

I see Lindblad has added the 2-week Remarkable Journey information for 2008. Here is a link: Remarkable Journey 2008

Some of their trips are listed as Photo Expeditions, where there is an emphasis on photography. This means extra landings (or zodiac cruises) at sunrise or sunset, "cruising for composition", some lectures on photography, expert help available (we had Bob Krist from National Geographic and Ralph Lee Hopkins from Lindblad Expeditions. Maybe 40% of the passengers are interested in photography.

You need to develop some special techniques to shoot from Zodiacs or Kayaks, like how to keep or clean whale snot off your lenses:biggrin: You get to do a lot of leveling in photoshop because the little boats bounce around a lot.

This trip needs to be on your wish list.

I'll add more as I think of it.

Bob and Nan

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are some of the Marine Mammal sighting details from the trip.

We had 12 days when we were at sea.

We saw whales all 12 days, as many as 3 species on a single day!!

Grey Whale seen on 2 days
Humpback on 3
Bryde's Whale on 2
Fin Whale on 2
Blue Whale on 7
Sperm Whale on 2
Dwarf Sperm Whale on 1
Curvier's Beaked Whale on 1 (a very rare sighting)

We also saw Bottlenosed Dolphins on 8
and Common Dolphins on 8 days

We saw California Sea Lions on 10 days

Lots more photos to go,
Bob & Nan

Bob, this is

a really beautiful series. Your website is terrific and this looks like a spectacular travel/photo destination. Your images would make a wonderful table top book!

Thanks for this presentation.

For those of you following all of our Baja posts, we are going to pause your daily fix for a couple of days. It is time for us to make the move from Florida to Ohio for the summer, so we will be off-line for a couple of days while we drive north.

There are certainly several more posts to go!!

Bob & Nan

Last edited by a moderator:
Bob...

You have some fine images here.... very well done.

But also THANKS for taking the time and effort to get them together and uploaded to a site and then formatted to post here....

I know this is a lot of work and sometimes I feel like folks forget this.

Cheers

Bob...
But also THANKS for taking the time and effort to get them together and uploaded to a site and then formatted to post here....

I know this is a lot of work and sometimes I feel like folks forget this.

Cheers

Hi Doug,

It is really fun to put together all the posts. It helps get all the information that you pick up on these expeditions associated with the photographs before it all starts to run together.

One of the things we enjoy about the Lindblad Expeditions is that they assemble a group of naturalists that cover a wide range of subjects and you can get a good understanding of what is there, why it is there, and how it interacts with everything else that you are seeing. This gives each of the photo threads a story to explain and connect the photos.

Glad you are enjoying our efforts.
Bob & Nan

I have updated the first message in this thread to link to the information for the 2-week version of the trip for 2008.

Bob & Nan

Latest threads

Top Bottom