Bald Eagle (graphic)

Discussion in 'Birds' started by JohnK, Aug 3, 2008.

1. JohnK

JohnK

Aug 6, 2006
    Pacific NW
    Some of the best eagle shots I've captured so far. This one took off from a piling out in the Sound and headed right towards me.

Are eagles cannibals? It looks like this one is carrying whats left of another raptor, the foot looks to big to be an osprey.

DSC_9113.jpg

DSC_9108.jpg

DSC_9106.jpg

2. Marina

Marina Guest

Great catch!! Nature sure provides some "graphic" opportunities, doesn't it? I couldn't figure out what was he carrying?

3. Great series. I too can't figure out what he is carrying.

4. Renate

Renate Guest

Very cool, whatever he is carry-ing he is holding on to it really well. That is such a beautiful bird.

Renate

5. sypher

sypher

May 24, 2006
    Cougar Country
    Cannibal, dont know...scavenger, yes. Nice shots

6. Great subject!!! If you get a next time try to increase the exposure some. I use matrix metering and would dial in around +.7 to start with. The lighter background makes the camera give less exposure, while on this dark subject you actually want more. Hope you get a next time!! They are great to watch!!

Nancy

7. JohnK

JohnK

Aug 6, 2006
    Pacific NW
    Thanks everyone. Nancy, I was using spot metering this morning because with that bright gray sky it usually ends up all but silhouetting birds. Matrix + .7 sounds like it might have worked too - we get plenty of gray skys around here, I'm sure I'll have a chance to try that sooner or later, thanks for the tip.

This is a tight crop of near the end of whatever the eagle is carrying, this is why I was thinking it was some kind of raptor. I don't think a sealion would have a foot like this, or anything else I could think of that would be living in the water.

DSC_9106_foot_crop.jpg

8. very good series of pics! The talon in the close-up makes me think "Osprey", although I know of no case of an eagle catching and killing an osprey, eagles are scavengers and opportunist, perhaps a youn osprey got tangled up in something or a young one fell out of the nest and drowned. The hook of that talon does look like a lot of the osprey I have seen. I know eagles like various other sea-birds but can't think of what else would have a talon like that.

9. cre8foru

cre8foru

Dec 1, 2007
    Atlanta GA