Bald Eagle Interactions - Seabeck, Nancy and I

Went to Seabeck on Sunday as the tide was going out. Sky was not as nice, clear and blue as last weekend, but the Bald Eagle Interactions were pretty amazing. The Eagles come down to feed on the Oyster Beds, at one point we counted 15 Eagles on the ground, plus more in the surounding trees.

The first three shots were taken by my wife Nancy, D300/200-400 f4/1.4TC

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This last shot I thought was rather humorous, with the Great Blue Heron hunched down in the background, trying to stay out of the way.

The next set I shot, D300/400 f2.8 AFS-1/1.7TC. The first one is the same encounter as Nancy's first shot, slightly different angle.

The Eagle hanging upside down was carrying a fish, which the other Eagle wanted.

The last two are the first and last shot in a series of 7 as the two birds were dropping in the sky.

After this last shot, they released and flew off in different directions.

It is amazing, to me at least, to watch the birds interact this way. And when we get lucky enough to catch the action, even better :wink:

Wow, oh, wow, oh, wow! I'd give my firstborn to see this stuff in person! Wonderful, Bill and Nancy! You must have been grinning for days.

Regarding the scrunched up heron: You'd be ducking, too, if your neck was that long!

And, yikes! If the eagle screws up the fight, he gets to land upside down in an oyster bed? Been there, done that, and ripped up my haunch pretty good.

Lovely, lovely shots!

Well Bill I would say some eagle interaction is an understatement. Wonderful shots. You really got to experience some great action there. I bet Nancy was even glad she went. Boy did I ever miss out on this trip. I will Janice what could have been.

I've see lots of images with eagles threatening each other foot-to-foot but never any contact shots until these! Just spectacular shots! You and Nancy really cahsed in that day...

Wow is the understatement of the thread. Bald eagles may be prolific somewhere in FL, but not any place I frequent. Great shots!

Maybe I can replicate [sarcastic humor intended] with some seagulls!:biggrin::biggrin:

BTW, finally got my F4 300mm so maybe I can get a shot or two in this forum. Love the bird pix and these eagles are [some of] the greatest. Thanks for sharing!

Holy smokes! Those are just amazing captures.

You should send little teaser shots around to the various nature magazines, i bet you'll sell a few copies!

It must really take some personal focus to capture such aerial drama. I'd be so caught up in it I'd probably just sit there staring at these incredible birds.

Very nice work!

Thanks, all, you are too kind :redface::redface::wink:

To the comment on "ending up on the back in the Oyster Bed", I got a shot from last year of an Eagle getting knocked flat on the Oyster Bed by another landing Eagle. Didn't seem to bother it much at all.

Michael, thanks. You are correct in the action being fast and furious, a lot of credit goes to the new AF systems. But it gets frustrating at times to miss some shots because you are focused on the wrong bird/action.

We, here in the PNW, are truly blessed to have the abundance of these birds that we do, and to have them concentrate in places like this. It is sometimes tough to not just stand and stare :eek: at all the action, I think that one thing that helps is that we use the Camera like a pair of binoculars, just happens to have a Shutter Button as well :biggrin:

What I don't understand completely is why places like this only seem to be active for a month or so, I guess it has to do with when the chicks are growing and the adults need more food for them.

Thanks again!

These are awesome shots Bill. I remember similar awesome shots taken by Jim Fenton sometime last year and am really amazed how you guys were able to capture that action.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom