Bald Eagle Interactions - Seabeck, Nancy and I

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Retief, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Went to Seabeck on Sunday as the tide was going out. Sky was not as nice, clear and blue as last weekend, but the Bald Eagle Interactions were pretty amazing. The Eagles come down to feed on the Oyster Beds, at one point we counted 15 Eagles on the ground, plus more in the surounding trees.

The first three shots were taken by my wife Nancy, D300/200-400 f4/1.4TC

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This last shot I thought was rather humorous, with the Great Blue Heron hunched down in the background, trying to stay out of the way.

[​IMG]

The next set I shot, D300/400 f2.8 AFS-1/1.7TC. The first one is the same encounter as Nancy's first shot, slightly different angle.

[​IMG]

The Eagle hanging upside down was carrying a fish, which the other Eagle wanted.

[​IMG]

The last two are the first and last shot in a series of 7 as the two birds were dropping in the sky.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After this last shot, they released and flew off in different directions.

It is amazing, to me at least, to watch the birds interact this way. And when we get lucky enough to catch the action, even better :wink:

2. Allan

Allan

Apr 21, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    Wow - that upside down eagle in the second to last shot is something else!

3. Holy Smokes, okay, National Geographic is looking for those pics! Man o man Bill, thats exciting stuff. Excellent.
    Kevin P.

4. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    Wow, oh, wow, oh, wow! I'd give my firstborn to see this stuff in person! Wonderful, Bill and Nancy! You must have been grinning for days.

Regarding the scrunched up heron: You'd be ducking, too, if your neck was that long!

And, yikes! If the eagle screws up the fight, he gets to land upside down in an oyster bed? Been there, done that, and ripped up my haunch pretty good.

Lovely, lovely shots!

5. Well Bill I would say some eagle interaction is an understatement. Wonderful shots. You really got to experience some great action there. I bet Nancy was even glad she went. Boy did I ever miss out on this trip. I will Janice what could have been.

6. Bill,

Those are just spectacular! That had to be fun to watch.

Bob & Nan

7. ummm... I'm speechless... Id give anything to have been there to see this... amazing pictures

8. WOW! Very dramatic! Wonderful captures! Looks like ya'll had an exciting time!

9. Wow what a great series!!!! Lots of wallhangers here must have been great to see Bill, I would love to make it down there!!!

10. Incredible action shots, lucky to shoot so many eagles at one time.

11. Incredible series Bill. I'd say you and Nancy hit the mother lode of eagle activity on that day. Super job!!

12. I've see lots of images with eagles threatening each other foot-to-foot but never any contact shots until these! Just spectacular shots! You and Nancy really cahsed in that day...

13. Wow is the understatement of the thread. Bald eagles may be prolific somewhere in FL, but not any place I frequent. Great shots!

Maybe I can replicate [sarcastic humor intended] with some seagulls!:biggrin::biggrin:

BTW, finally got my F4 300mm so maybe I can get a shot or two in this forum. Love the bird pix and these eagles are [some of] the greatest. Thanks for sharing!

14. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Nothing beats a "Talon Lock" !!

Great reaction on your part...this action is usually fast and furious!

15. Sweet series Bill. That must have been quite a show.

16. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Holy smokes! Those are just amazing captures.

You should send little teaser shots around to the various nature magazines, i bet you'll sell a few copies!

17. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    It must really take some personal focus to capture such aerial drama. I'd be so caught up in it I'd probably just sit there staring at these incredible birds.

Very nice work!

18. Thanks, all, you are too kind :redface::redface::wink:

To the comment on "ending up on the back in the Oyster Bed", I got a shot from last year of an Eagle getting knocked flat on the Oyster Bed by another landing Eagle. Didn't seem to bother it much at all.

Michael, thanks. You are correct in the action being fast and furious, a lot of credit goes to the new AF systems. But it gets frustrating at times to miss some shots because you are focused on the wrong bird/action.

We, here in the PNW, are truly blessed to have the abundance of these birds that we do, and to have them concentrate in places like this. It is sometimes tough to not just stand and stare :eek: at all the action, I think that one thing that helps is that we use the Camera like a pair of binoculars, just happens to have a Shutter Button as well :biggrin:

What I don't understand completely is why places like this only seem to be active for a month or so, I guess it has to do with when the chicks are growing and the adults need more food for them.

Thanks again!

19. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    These are awesome shots Bill. I remember similar awesome shots taken by Jim Fenton sometime last year and am really amazed how you guys were able to capture that action.

20. And when birds do it, well, it's even better!:biggrin: