Bald Eagle season in the PNW =I'll fight you for it...

As West's and Louie's photos attest it eagle season in the PNW. In Delta we have a large composting facility which attracts hundreds of eagles. Seriously, at one point i tried to count them and gave up at 120. Yesterday on my way to my favourite shooting site the train gate was stuck down so I parked in the North of Forty dog park and walked into a field next to the tracks. The field was a bog and my feet were soon wet up to the ankles; my feet stayed wet and cold for the next two hours as the eagle displays were awe inspiring. So here are a few my shots.

_AM31561-bald eagle soaring@0.25x.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

#1 Fly-over. Nikon D850 500PF 1/2000 F5.6 ISO 1250. The eagles like to fly over and check our your gear. It is said that bad things happen to Sony shooters....

_AM31628-bald eagle touchdown@0.25x.jpg

#2 Touchdown... Nikon D850 500PF 1/2000 F5.6 ISO 1250. After a bit of an aerial fight a bit of a treat landed in the field. This guy touched down and had a nice lunch in the winter sun.
The actual touchdown happened behind the reeds in the right of the frame...

_AM31771-aerial snatch and grab@0.25x.jpg

#3 Why get your own when you can steal it from your friend. Nikon D850 500 PF 1/2000 F5.6 ISO 360

_AM31851-foof fight@0.3x.jpg

#4 Remember Gravity. Nikon D850 500PF 1/2000 f5.6 ISO 500. A group of eagles harassed a young eagle with a treat. The wise old bird
remembered gravity and came in low and got the falling treat.

Thanks for looking, comments and criticisms welcome.

Cheers,
alexis and Georgie Beagle

"I don't go out shooting eagles as I keep hearing them cry "tasty treat" at me..." - Georgie Beagle

Real Name
Jeff
Nice series! I think I know where this is at. I drive by it on my way to Point Roberts. I didn’t realize there was anyplace to stop and get pics of the eagles though. Jeff

Real Name
Dan
What a way to spend a morning. IMO fly over shots need eye contact to work well and this one definitely has that along with great light angle and excellent detail. And the last one catching four birds in one shot with 500mm is quite a treat. Well done.

Nice series! I think I know where this is at. I drive by it on my way to Point Roberts. I didn’t realize there was anyplace to stop and get pics of the eagles though. Jeff

Hi Jeff,

The composting site is off 72nd avenue, and is just west of the boundary bay airport. If you take the exit to get to the boundary bay airport just go to the west side of the airport. there is lots of parking in the North of Forty park where people walk their dogs.

Cheers,
alexis

Real Name
Jeff
Hi Jeff,

The composting site is off 72nd avenue, and is just west of the boundary bay airport. If you take the exit to get to the boundary bay airport just go to the west side of the airport. there is lots of parking in the North of Forty park where people walk their dogs.

Cheers,
alexis
Thanks for the info! Jeff

Latest threads

Top Bottom