1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Bald Eagle

Discussion in 'Birds' started by sfaribault, May 14, 2007.

1. sfaribault

sfaribault

Feb 21, 2006
    Colorado
    My First shots.... I was using a SIGMA 175 to 500

1/320s at f11, ISO 800, 500mm
    DSC_9616.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

1/640s at f6.3, ISO 800, 500mm
    View attachment 95504

Steve

2. Schnauzermom

Schnauzermom

Apr 13, 2007
    Michigan
    Very nice - the 2nd is my favorite!

3. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    The 2nd one is outstanding! Tells a great story.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very good
    Always a thrill to get the magestic Eagle

5. sfaribault

sfaribault

Feb 21, 2006
    Colorado
    This is on my aunt's land, there are 2 young birds in the nest. I was hopping to get a shot of them getting feed but was out of luck. I sat about 2 hours waiting for the adult to show up.

Steve

6. Steve How close are you to the nest? You could be preventing the parents from feeding if you are to close. Also it looks like the nest tree has leafed out so if the young are still very small they will need protection from the sun as it does not take long for a 2 week old eaglet to get cooked if left uncovered by a parent and the sun is getting through the leafs onto the nest. I know you want a photo but keep those little ones in mind and give them their space. Remember, it's the law, Federal and State so find your self a nice spot if you haven't already for photo opps but make sure it's at least 350 feet away and see if they come and go from there. If they do you are fine. Try placeing 1.4 TE on that Sigma and off a tripod use MF onto the nest for you feedings chances. I bet you get a few.
    Lou
    www.loubuscher.com

7. sfaribault

sfaribault

Feb 21, 2006
    Colorado
    I was on the shoulder of a road.. They are on a speck of land that is surrounded by water about 80 yards around. There were people fishing from boats closer then we were.

8. Steve thats a very good photo for that distance with 500MM. I guess the State lets the boats get away with approaching that close to nesting eagles.
    Do you ever see any trouble from the boaters?
    Lou

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    The law in florida as far as i have been told is 500 feet from an eagles nest

10. sfaribault

sfaribault

Feb 21, 2006
    Colorado
    My aunt is good friends with the DNR and the local police..

She has problems with some fishermen that cannot read and makes a phone call.
    Some have been fined.

11. Well Steve that is good to hear and a thumbs up to your aunt.
    Lou

12. Gale Next month the Federal Fish and Wildlife (Thats Federal) have to come up with a discription of the word Disturbance and how it will aply to the American Bald Eagle. At the present time the law means forceing an eagle to do something it don't want to. Like make it fly or drive it from a roost by a nest or drive it off a nest. In the case of the eagle the Federal law (and some states) it is inforced all the time while with other raptors it is at nesting you can not disturp. The only State that seems to do just what it wants with eagles is Alaska. Canada seems to have had a lot of poaching for white feathers and talons. I read about it every once in a while.
    I get a lot of wildlife info fed to me on the web and right now the eagle is or could get back into trouble if new laws are put through that will rob them of their natural habitat. Building devopment and logging are big culpits in this department.
    Every day my email gets at least one with some kind of sad news. Reading about it is one thing but once you get to see it you get sick and very mad.
    Sorry to carry on but I am so eagle minded from seeing the good and the bad I always have to say something.
    Ever sit next to a 10 month golden eagle on his first migration and see how a gunshot wound took his wing off. I have and it made me tear. He is still alive but can you just imagine what he was robbed of?
    Lou

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.