Bald Eagles Everywhere, can you have too many?

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Retief, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Well, sort of, because you can't track and shoot them all!!!!

Jim Thiel and I went to Seabeck the other day, and to put it mildly, we are both rather satisfied .... :wink:

All shot with a Nikon D200, 400mm f2.8 plus 1.7 TC. The flight shots are Full Frame, don't you just hate it when that happens?

Mature Eagle:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Juvenile Eagle:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a little Eagle Ineratction:
    [​IMG]

I was surpised to this so close to the water. I've seen it higher in the air where there is more room, but never this close to water or land.

[​IMG]

I've never seen one "laying down" before either.

Let me know what you think, plenty more to come :biggrin:

2. Is this interaction fighting or part of a bonding routine. I have certainly seen it as the latter but that last one looks as though the eagle on its' back is giving the other one a right mouthful. ' Something like. 'You stupid idiot. You could have warned me we were almost at zero feet.':biggrin::biggrin:

Lol Bob F.

3. Wow, that 5th frame is a kille capture!! Nice work.

4. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    You guys are so spoiled, all we have here are two Osprey and 50 billion seagulls and pigeons.

5. Bill, the answer to your question is, of course, NO! Wonderful shots-looking forward to more.

6. Beautiful series Bill. What a thrill you guys must have had with those birds.

7. The interaction you are seeing here is a territorial thing for sure. I have had similar sights while monitoring two nests that were only about 1/2 mile apart and had to get help to break up the two males on the ground both exhausted but our aproach unlocked them. I also have the female of one of these nests attacking the young from the other nests and striking a blow that knocked the youngster tumbling. This I have photos of and will dig them out and present them in a slide show as there are a few.
    Lou

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    You are rotten Bill. Rotten, rotten, rotten. :biggrin:

Can you tell that I'm jealous??

Excellent series. :smile:

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    5 is a killer shot..No make that a money shot:>)))

Nice work

10. Amazing shots Bill. Congratulations to some amazing shots.

Lil

11. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Count me in the jealous camp. Way to go!

12. Great action shots, I want to get some of those.

13. Ok Bill, I'll bite; that's way too many eagles in one post. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2007
  14. Thanks, Bob. I have seen this often, mostly in the clear sky, this is the first time I have seen anything like this close to, or even on, the ground. The "upside down" bird was standing on the Oyster beds, the other wanted his spot, I guess, not like there wasn't plenty of room. We saw this over and over while we were there, with one bird chasing another off a few feet. Seemed rather silly to me :biggrin:

Thanks. That 5th one was a real bonus for sure.

Thanks, Frank. Just hone up your PS skills, and turn them pigeons into something cool, like Blue Footed Boobies!!!! :wink:

Thanks, Dave, and I agree.

And thanks to the Other Dave as well! This spot really is a thrill, but they only seem to be here about 3-4 weeks of the year. Rather strange to me.

Thanks, Lou. As I noted earlier, these "battles" for a place to sit on the Oyster Bed was going on constantly. In one case a Adult got knocked off into the water. Just surprised me to see this so close to the water and the Oyster Beds.

Thanks, Frank, this is one spot I try to get to at the right time, and that isn't always easy, trying to get the sun and the tides to cooperate.

Thanks, Gale

Thanks, Lil .. much appreciated. Chalk up the "amazing" part to some phenomenal subjects.

Thanks.

Thanks, just hope in your auto and come on over, we'll take you there!

Hey, Jerry, thanks. And to think, you aren't even seeing 1/10th of all the birds we saw ........

15. What a series Bill!! Where are you hanging Number 5???

16. Great series Bill, man you guys really ran into them it looks like. #5 is a killer shot.

Louie

17. bfjr

bfjr Guest

You can never have to many Eagles :biggrin:

Considering I don't have one !!!! :frown::frown:

These are great, I may just have to move

Eagles or............. divorce ..........Hmmm let me see :biggrin::rolleyes::biggrin:

18. Yes! You can! Just like too many ospreys!

Well done Bill! Must be tough haveing to shoot E's and O's all the time

19. Beautiful! Just beautiful!

20. Thanks, Andreas, on my Wall, that is for sure!!!!!

Thanks, Louis. Maybe next time you'll convince yourself to come along :wink:.

Hey, Ben, just make it a little Vacation up North, we'll show you the sights!!!!! Thanks,

Well, Nick, every now and then we do have to tough it out. Of course, there was the hailstorm we had last night. Hailstorm in late June? Hey, that's the joy and beauty of living in Washington. Thanks.

Thanks. I do give most of the credit for these to the subjects, it makes my job quite easy.