Bali - Some pictures

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by satcat, Nov 21, 2005.

1. satcat

satcat

Nov 11, 2005
    Singapore
    Hello everyone,

I just returned from a visit to gorgeous Bali and wanted to share some pictures with you.

The volcano-enriched soil of Bali is ideal for growing rice, and terraced ricefields are ubiquitous. It was interesting to see fields at different stages of the cultivation cycle.

Here are some ricefields vistas:

#1 - Just after transplantation

[​IMG]

#2 - A solitary farmer at work

[​IMG]

#3 - Rice terraces

[​IMG]

#4 - Getting ready for the harvest?

[​IMG]

One is never far away from music and dance in Bali. Here are a couple:

#5 - A Kecak dancer. The Kecak dance narrates stories from the Ramayana.

[​IMG]

#6 - A Barong dancer with his mask

[​IMG]

And of course there are thousands of temples of all sizes, but generally similar architecture. Almost all temples are very much in use. Here are a couple:

#7 - Pura Ulun Danu Bratan, with a temple ceremony about to be wrapped up.

[​IMG]

#8 - Tanah Lot. This is *the* most photographed spot in Bali (its not hard to see why). The temple is on a rocky outcrop in the sea and can be reached on foot during low tide.

[​IMG]

Thanks for viewing and I hope you enjoy the pictures!

2. Beautiful photos! It's been more than 10 years since I last visited Bali. It's a wonderful place.

3. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Hi Satish

Yes, beautiful pictures of a beautiful place and people.

Been fortunate enough to vist a few times and wonderful.

Love your image of bratan - but like our visit it was heavy and overcast - we had rain.

Tanah Lot, we have never seen a sunset like yours - always to misty - yours is beautiful.

Very best wishes

Ray

4. These are wonderful pix --never been to Bali, but these pictures are very tempting.

Paul

5. satcat

satcat

Nov 11, 2005
    Singapore
    thanks!

hi folks, thanks for all your gracious comments.

paul, you should definitely include it in your list of places to visit!

ray, yes, bratan was overcast and drizzling but i hung around for a while and managed to get a few shots.

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Thank you for sharing these beautiful images of a place I have always wanted to go.

7. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    Great pictures. I enjoyed all of them.

I especially liked the next to last with the clouds. I think the clouds double the effect of the picture by indirectly emphasizing the real subject matter.

8. I was hoping you would show us a dancer and there she was nestled in the middle. Excellent shots all.

9. satcat

satcat

Nov 11, 2005
    Singapore
    thank you, gale, john and gordon, glad you liked these.

bali is an exceptionally beautiful place with very, very gracious and gentle people. it just abounds with photo opportunities. for every person i have spoken to who has been there, one visit is never enough!

john, i know what you mean about the clouds. there is a certain weight to them that forces the eyes downwards.

happy thanksgiving, eveyone!

ciao.

10. radz

radz

Nov 12, 2005
    NewDelhi,India
    Beautiful shots.Thanks for sharing it.

11. Very colorful serie of pictures.