Ball Head for Nikon 200mm F2 VR

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by galupi20, Apr 15, 2007.

1. galupi20

galupi20

Jun 12, 2006
    I will buy this lens next week. I have a Manfrotto 190 ( bought it 9 years ago ). Want to know if I can use a Manfrotto 468MGRC2 Ball Head with my 190 with a D2Xs/D2Hs - Nikon 200 F2 VR attached ? Thanks a lot
    Luis

2. I think the 468MGRC2 will do well but am not so sure with the 190?

Me myself is using the same head with the Manfrotto 682. Im using a D200 with the grip and 70-200 VR tho not the 200.

3. InitialD

InitialD

Mar 12, 2007
    Malaysia
    I would advice against using the Manfrotto / Bogen 190 tripod. Depending on the type of Manfrotto 190 model, the max load is somewhere 4 to 5kgs.

The 200mm f/2.0 VR lens is 3kg. The D2Xs/D2Hs is another 1.5kg.

When you have already decided to buy an expensive lens like the 200mm f/2.0 VR, it goes against conventional wisdom to stinge on tripod / ballhead.

Get a decent tripod from Manfrotto or Gitzo and ballhead from RRS / Kirk / Markins. Depending on your usage and type of shooting, you may want to opt for a Wimberley Sidekick + ballhead or Wimberley Head version 2.

4. Pixelographer

Pixelographer

Dec 22, 2006
    If you're going to use it for moving targets or if you will be moving the lens a great deal from a stationary tripod, the ball head does not give enough freedom of movement to be practical. Sidekick is awesome in that it lets you keep the ball head for other duties and it's half the cost of the full Wimberly.
    Good luck
    Dave

5. InitialD

InitialD

Mar 12, 2007
    Malaysia
    That's not correct. To begin with, you need a good arca swiss ballhead. A good ballhead + sidekick can easily be more expensive than a full Wimberley since the full Wimberley does not require a ballhead. Yes, of course if you go the full Wimberley route, it's cumbersome not having a ballhead for normal tripod mounting.

I think a truly cheaper sidekick type of gimbal that does not require a ballhead is the Jobu Junior.

6. A full Wimberley for sure for that lens. I bit the bullet and have never looked back. Many more keepers and as far as mounting the camera itself well I got a generic plate that I turn vertical to the camera bottom and works a treat on the Wimberley. I do not do a lot of landscapes, but I would say that would take care of most needs. Plus if you really wanted to have another head you could carry around a much smaller ballhead.

cheers
    Nancy

7. lovep1

lovep1 Guest

For me, this is the best combo for the 200 f2--assuming you might want to use other lens during the course of the day.

1. Really Right Stuff (RRS) BH-55 Ballhead
    2. Wimberly Sidekick

It works like a charm! Extremely well built, and (if used correctly) will allow you to increase your number of keepers when using the wider aperatures.

Pat

8. I have mostly hand-held Bertha (my 200mm f/2) but I do have the full Wimberley gimbal head on the tripod; I also have the RRS BH-55 but have not tried her on that; I feel more secure using the Wimberley with her. I also have a Wimberley clamp on my monopod and that works well, too, for additional stability.

9. Pixelographer

Pixelographer

Dec 22, 2006
    I meant that if you already owned the ballhead, the cost was half what replacing it would be.

10. InitialD

InitialD

Mar 12, 2007
    Malaysia
    Agreed. In most cases, yes. But the original poster already mentioned that he wants to use his Manfrotto 468MGRC2 Ball Head.

11. galupi20

galupi20

Jun 12, 2006
    Thanks a lot for all your answers. I will search wich combination from all you've mentioned i can find here in Argentina. I appreciate a lot your suggestions.
    Luis