Ball head help

I want to get a new Ball head to replace a lighter weight model.

I CAN NOT afford RRS, markins and the other higher end heads.

My choices are as follows

Induro BHD2
Benro Benro B2

and the Vanguard ABH-120K

The vanguard seems to be discontinued due to some patent violation issues but is still available at Adorama

The Induro and Benro are available through both Adorama and B&H

The Induro has nicer knobs, the Benro a level.

All have similar aupport ratings

Any thoughts or opinions ?

I haven't used any of the models you mention, but I have heard good things about the Induro.

That said, have you considered used higher-end models? I've seen very nice used Arca B-1 models going for around $250.

I compared the Induro BHD2 to the Benro B2 when I was looking for a ball head. I liked the Induro better because the shape of the knobs made them easier to use. The level was a non-issue for me.

So far the Induro has been a pleasure to use, though I have not really stressed it out, such as with an FX body and 600mm lens ;-) Fact is, the BHD2 is probably more than I needed, but a bigger ball makes for a smoother action and the larger max weight means more stability at the extremes of ball movement.

Photo Clam are very, very good, as are the Vanguard ABH series (both the same "ball-in-cup" design that is also found on markins and some Arca-Swiss heads). The ABH has a semi-elliptical ball, which makes it feel like a bigger head than it actually is when used loose.

Induro is made by Benro -- any differences are cosmetic. Benro heads have a terrible reputation, and it's well-earned. I owned one. What looks good on the outside rapidly gives way to shoddy internal construction, poor materials, and the sucking sound of good money thrown after bad. They are cheap, but not inexpensive -- because you will buy again.

I'd recommend a used Kirk or Markins, or perhaps a Photo Clam. They appear to be well made, and relatively low-priced.

I agree with Eric and Andy. Save a few more bucks and pick up the Arca Swiss B1. I bought one a few years ago and love it.

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but...

When I was at the '06 Cafe Get-Together, I handled the RRS BH-55. I found the Arca Swiss to be much smoother by comaprison...and I'm not the only one who noticed this.:wink:

I ended up getting a used Vanguard ABH230L, the lever lock version. Nice head but the lever is mmeehh. Today I also picked up a used Markins Q10 head. Like it a lot.
Ill be ordering some plates from markins and later an L bracket from RRS.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom