Ball Heads - RRS or Kirk or ?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by dond, Jun 23, 2005.

1. I'm trying to decide on a new setup, tripod, & ball head. I've pretty much decided on a Manfrotto Mag Fibre 190MF3 tripod, at least I think I have.

The ball heads are another matter. I'm kind of leaning towards the Really Right Stuff BH55-LR head, but the Kirk BH-1 head looks good also. I realize I'll need to get some new "feet" for my lenses, regardless of which head I get. I'm also considering the Wimberely Sidekick.

If anyone has or uses any of the ball heads mentioned, please respond back with your insights.

2. Don,
    I have the Kirk BH-1 and BH-3 and the Kirk King cobra. The quality is outstand on each. I would expect the same on RRS. All I can vouch for is that I am completely happy with the performance of the Kirk products.

3. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    Kirk

I have not tried the RRS products although I hear good things about them but I have bought and use several Kirk products including the BH-1 and King Cobra and am quite pleased with the products and the service.

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Don,

I've bought products from both companies and have been pleased with the quality and service from both, although I have neither of these items. I do have a Wimberley Sidekick, and have used it extensively with an Acratech Ultimate ballhead. IMHO, the Ultimate is an excellent product but a little on the light side for use with a Sidekick and a big lens (300 2.8 or 500 f4 and above). Last time I talked to him, Ron Reznick was using the RRS ballhead and a Sidekick for his 500 f4.

I don't think you could go wrong with either though.

5. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    You might also want to consider Markins ballheads. I have the Markins M10 and it's very well made. The RRS head looks nice but is too big/heavy for my needs.

6. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Markins M20

I have a Markins M20 ......Smooth as silk and rock solid steady. I love it with my 500 AFSII and a Wimberly Sidekick!

7. I asked this same question to Reznick not too long ago. His reply was the the RRS BH-55 was the best hands down.

I sold my Markins and went to the RRS. I've never looked back.

8. I have an Arca Swiss BH-1. When that dies on me or gets too hard to use I will get the RRS BH-55, I hear it is a killer! I don't expect to need one anytime soon but if it happened today, no question about what I would get. I am sure the Kirk is very good but the RRS BH-55 looks superb!!

9. Thanks to everyone who replied. I'll be ordering an RRS BH-55LR ball head with lever clamp and some "feet" for my lenses tomorrow. Again, thanks for eveyones input.

10. I saw Rons BH-55 with lever clamp at the Yosemite session and tried it, and i have to say it is really superb. The best feature to me is the low footprint. My head (Graf Studioball) is very high and it makes for more vibrations with a large lens. Workmanship is superb. I dont think you can go wrong with it. I went home and I'm trying to find the money to order one here for me as well.

11. linm

linm

May 3, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Hmmm I was trying to decide between the RRS and an Acratech Ultimate. I understand that the RRS is quite a bit heavier? At the moment, the longest lens I have is a 70-200mm with TC but I would like to add a 300mm to my arsenal in the not too distant future. Wonder if I should be rethinking this. I currently have a Novoflex Magicball but I find it slips even with my 70-200mm.

12. RRS. You won't regret it.

13. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    RRS Price

Price on the ball head?
    I don't seem to see it on their website?

14. RRS Price

Price for the RRS BH-55 ballhead with B2-AS II lever release clamp is $455. I ordered mine today along with lens plates for my 70-200 VR & 80-400 VR. The ballhead won't be shipping till next week.