Ballhead or Wemblery...

I know this has been asked and answered, but...

I have a different slant on the question...

I have a Wemberly WH200.

I think I want a big ballhead...

So which one, Kirk, Markins, RRS???

Should I get one and keep the Wh200, or sell it???

I use a D700 with MB10, and a 300mm F2.8 (pre-VR) with a 1.4TC, (Not Nikon)

This equipment is out of my league but I have to ask- What will a big ballhead give you that the Wemberly on a good tripod with a leveling base will not (with the 300). I would think you would give up your ability to follow moving subjects. GH

I have a photoclam ballhead - one of the big ones and i have used with big lenses - 500mm for example and i hated it. I then bought a manfrotto 393 which makes using big glass a joy. So i would think that in your situation using a ballhead with the 300/2.8 will too difficult. My vote is stick with the wimberley.

Thx for the inputs!

Here is the thing...

From my use of the Wimberley, there is no good / easy way to shoot things like micro's, flowers, etc...

All of my other gear has the typical plates from Manfrotto, you know the small square ones. They are a real joy to use and allow my wife and I to use each other's gear...

Now, I know you might say, just get the same plates for everything & move on!

That seems like a lot of money when you consider three bodies, three tripods, & other gear. The cost of all the Arca / Swiss plates, clamps may be almost as a BH55!!!!

Plus, I like the way a ballhead works. I actually have an older version of a Manfrotto ball head, but I do not want to use iron the 300 rig.

I am biased as I just picked up the Wimerley to use with my kit so I recommend both. Different tools for different jobs. A good ballhead will be a nice addition to your kit. You have nice gear and anyone of those or Arca Swiss(what I have ) would be complement.

Given the biggest lens you have is the 300 f2.8, which will be supported easily by a good ball head, this could make the ballhead option useful as you can use it for macro, landscape etc. The Wimberley obviously doesn't work very well for those types of photography.

That said, if you want to do birds in flight or fast moving wildlife, the ball head will not be as good - nothing beats a gimbal for swinging a telephoto about quickly and accurately. If you mostly do fairly static long lens work, the ballhead will be fine.

The RRS BH-55 is an excellent ballhead though, you can read my review of it here which may or may not help.

:smile:

From my use of the Wimberley, there is no good / easy way to shoot things like micro's, flowers, etc...
QUOTE]

I use both for micro work...
I know this is very different than most people, but with my
100mm I use a ballhead. With my 200mm I use the gimbal...

So, Maybe the question really should be...

Which big ballhead would you buy? Which do you have?

RRS BH55, Markins Q20, or Kirk BH1 or 3???

And let's just set the Wimberley aside for now...

Gimbal head is much better for moving targets. For static targets and a heavy setup, I actually much prefer a geared head over a ball head (and I currently have about a dozen different ball heads). Especially for macro or landscape, precise framing and minor adjustments are so much easier with a geared head (I use the Photoclam Multiflex).

For general purpose, or if you just have one head, a ball head is the way to go. A ball head is also the fasted kind of head to use. But for moving objects with a heavy setup a gimbal is a lot better, and for precise framing (especially while making tiny adjustments while keeping the horizon straight) a geared head is ideal.

Another point, if you do sell your WH200, you probably want to pick up something like a Wimberley Sidekick so you can turn your ball head into a Gimbal should you ever want to shoot a moving target with that 300mm lens...

THx Isamu and Steve...

I was just looking at the Sidekick. I have seen them before and "DID NOT GET IT"
cause I was thinking "WHY"? I think I get it now. I understand why that would be a
value added addition. It now makes total sense!

So maybe I should sell the Wemberly, and buy the BH-55 and a Sidekick!

Maybe that will cure my dilemma?????

Of course, I will still need to figure how to get away from the Manfrotto QR system.

Well, I am off to go do the math, but first I Need to find out how many plates I will need... Yikes!!!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom