Baltimore Grand Prix cancelled for 2014, 2015

McQ

Just your average, everyday moderator.
Real Name
Glenn
This Grand Prix would have been spectacular as an ongoing event, but I've been miffed at the organizers the past two years. I was on their email list to be notified of the dates for advance ticket sales two years in a row, and never got the emails.

The changes in organizations, and the infighting among the planners, backers, the city of Baltimore, etc. is what killed this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
They say it is cancelled for 2 years...does anyone really think it will ever return?
Hell no! It was a fiasco the first year for local small shops and vendors not directly affiliated with the race sponsor. Seems nobody thought about how the traffic redirection would negatively impact revenue from regular customers not being able to get to these business establishments. This year was better thought out.:rolleyes:

Perhaps the main reasons are the horribly rough racing surface, the car eating phony chicane and the large number of race stopping pile-ups they had in turn one at the end of the straight with the bypass which permitted late comers to circumvent the plug of stalled cars. Then they had to re-start and reconstruct the lineup and pull them back. The cars are spin out prone and usually stall. I've never understood why the engines have no starters.

I believe they don't have an onboard starter to save weight. These engines are usually started with 36V or sometimes 48V starters, it take a lot of torque to turn one of these engines over.

The voltage is an issue, but if all have starters there is no net difference. I've followed these cars since the 1950's. Recently they all seem to stall with every spin. It's as distracting as NASCAR calling a caution of 8-10 laps for as little as a beer can on the track. Anytime the cars are bunched the hard work of the leaders is negated and the poorer cars/racers are rewarded. The ruling body loves it because it artificially keeps the race close and they get more advertising revenue for commercials during cautions. At least Indy cars sometimes show the race along with the commercial on a split screen; F1 even started doing that.

I have often wondered how the locals dealt with a race in the middle of their city.

I do not watch street races, as mentioned, course is too tight, no safety margins. These all cut back on effort of the driver, I believe they shave back their efforts to save the car.
I wish the Indy cars could come back to Charlotte and Atlanta, they ran 220 MPH at Charlotte. Sadly, I was there the night 4 people died in the stands from a freak wreck. That ended INDY racing at both tracks.

I would love to see them back at Richmond, I went to 3 of the races they ran there, great show. They were getting a decent crowd also, not sure why they stopped holding that race.

The race course was a joke. As Rich said it was so rough & bumpy. Those race cars have very little suspension travel & the bumps play havoc with them. Adding that chicane in the straight in the name of safety was anything but safe. Hope they can replace this race date with a proper road course.

Perhaps the main reasons are the horribly rough racing surface, the car eating phony chicane and the large number of race stopping pile-ups they had in turn one at the end of the straight with the bypass which permitted late comers to circumvent the plug of stalled cars. Then they had to re-start and reconstruct the lineup and pull them back. The cars are spin out prone and usually stall. I've never understood why the engines have no starters.
Weight and less complexity. Then you also do not need a battery. Less weight means less fuel burn. Maybe they figure once you spin out you are done for the day anyway

Same as why an Air Force fighter can not be made to land on a carrier without extensive mods, like a beefier landing gear among other things. They are optimized for different things.

Understood, but if they all have the same gear there's no differentiation. Daytona prototype/ALMS series cars (at least some) have starters and there are fewer yellow flags related to that. As I mentioned NASCAR is the worst, although they have starters their officials have hair trigger fingers on the caution flag to help the networks fill in their commercials and to close the cars back to artificially enhance the action.

Come to think of it caution flag induced commercials is likely the reason they don't have starters, plus the second tier racers get more chances to stay in the game.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom