1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Ban against camera phones!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cleo68, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Cleo68

Cleo68

Jul 7, 2008
    Bedford, MA
  2. It's already started in Miami. No camera phones allowed in all federal buildings for the last 5 years.

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Allow the authorities to do their job, that is what they get paid to do. If someone with a camera appears suspicious, then they should be investigated. No one likes to be limited in their movements, but times have changed. Consider this, if you peered out your front door to find someone photographing your home, wouldn't you investigate? I doubt that you would allow a stranger to photograph your home thinking, "ah, another person with a passion for photography". Nope, I think you would ask some questions or call the police so they can ask some questions.

We've seen these threads so many times before and little gets solved. Authorities are proceeding the best way that they see fit and that is for our protection. You may not like it, but they serve the entire community as a whole for everyone's benefit.

4. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem

Who among us is suspicious? You could make that argument for any of us here. Why does that man have such a long lens? Why is that woman sneaking such a little camera in and out of her purse?

Please. It would be easier to allow "authorities" to do their job if they didn't abuse their authority so much. Blind trust in those who are supposed to protect us is dead and gone, and it's those very people who killed it.

5. Muskieman911

Muskieman911

Apr 11, 2008
    nowhere
    I would rather have my Nikon :) 

6. I want the danged things banned at concerts, sports events, museums. Heck, I simply want them OUT OF MY LIFE!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :biggrin::biggrin:

It is a PHONE for crying out loud. If you want 'sneaky' cameras, watch "Get Smart", Maxwell had plenty of those. And if we had kept our phones in our shoes, like he did, it would be tougher to answer your phone while driving, so less accidents on the road. Now THAT all makes sense to me :wink:

Now, to the OP. From reading the article, these folks were dumb enough to get caught yacking on the Internet. Use of the Camera in the Phone is secondary. The second link posted, heck, I thought it was already a crime, in or out of a federal building, to take pictures of people in various stages of undress when they would expect privacy. Amazing to me that we need a special law addressing this with Cell Phone Cameras in Federal Buildings. But then again, if stupid humans didn't do these stupid things, then other stupid humans wouldn't need to make stupid laws now, would they? How about dumping the responsibility where it belongs, on the stupid humans of the first part .... :wink:

7. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    Totally agree Bill, all of us have to abide by a certain set of rules and those who do not observe these rules need to be taken to task as long as the people designated to supposedly enforce the laws are not the DUMBEST people you can find, those who do not know what the laws are .... and not only that, they try to make their own inferences to ENFORCE rules they themselves are not sure about. Take the case of TSA for example, people who are so well-known for their 'brilliance'. Thanks to them, traveling has become such a nightmare for law-abiding citizens who have to do it as part of their means of earning their livelihood. Now how can you not get angry when you get hassled and profiled each time you fly.

8. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Apart from discussion about security theater: all this time we, as a group, are complaining that photography hobbyists are singled out on streets with the "no photography" thing.
    And every single time we point out that, if we were really terrorists, wouldn't we be using cellphone cameras instead, because that would go unnoticed.

So there you go. This levels the playing field :smile:

I'd love to see more regulations like that. It's almost impossible these days to get a cell phone without camera and even so, how do you distinguish between a cell phone with camera and one without? So effectively this is a ban on cell phones. That will not go over well with the public and it will put those ridiculous rules under scrutiny in the first place.

9. Please, I beg of you, don't compare TSA to regular law enforcement :biggrin:

And let's not suggest that we have enough laws and that we should just enforce the ones we have. That would render the single-remaining natural resource produced in these United States (lawyers) a redundant commodity. :redface:

10. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    Mike I fully agree with you on that (they are a joke and disgrace to our true law enforcement body) but unfortunately they have been granted the 'unquestionable' power to torture millions of innocent travelers on a daily basis so their impact on our mobile society is huge :frown:

11. Man Arrested For Unlawful Photography

I saw this last night and I wasn't going to post it as I didnt want to start another "Gawd given right to take pictures thread" but this speaks directly to the some comments and observations here. ["photog" also used a camera phone] Now I am not defending the "Photographer" in this storey either for he is an idiot. However read the affidavits submitted at the end of the story. The main policeman in this story scares me and his "back up" is just as bad. Reading their statements I would hazard a guess of maximum grade 9 edukashun.

Man Arrested For Unlawful Photography

12. Dr A

Dr A

Feb 2, 2008
    State College, PA
    Well, let me weigh in with a completely different view. I hate camera phones. I don't have one, and I think they all suck. What I want my phone to do is make calls, to do that we need 2 things, 1. reception and 2. power. Camera phones are limited in both accounts because they are usually flip-type phones with small batteries and poor antennae. When I look for a new phone, probably in October or maybe December, I'm hoping that there'll still be phones that just work as phones. Camera phones should be banned. From society. Forever.

13. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

that cop wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed ..lol
    :eek: 

14. It used to be that way here... no camera phones in the county courthouses, etc... but you really can't find a phone without a camera these days, so that rule is gone now...

15. There are plenty of phones with no cameras, because the industry understands many businesses (forget the government) will not allow camera phones on premises in order to slow the breach of IP from their campuses. The highest end Blackberry has no camera. Many PDAs have none. Many "tradtional" telephony handsets have none.

On the other end, 3G is coming, and there are tons of phones now with 2MP/3MP cameras and 5MP is already available.

16. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Hey folks,

Just like in all aspects of life there are good folks (and some not so good) in all professions including lawyers, TSA agents, police officers and other types of professions, lets not forget our cafe policies on bashing segments of society with a broad sword.

Cheers,

Wade

17. i just hate camera phones.i have one myself,but never used it.I use my phone for calls.
    (just for lauch):
    I have a rather loud pager on me al the time.One day in a bussy crowd my pager start bleeping.I took my camera,hold the back to my ear and made a conversation like i had a call.You could see the jaws drop open wide.
    When will we see a Nikon with a build in phone?

18. Too funny!!!! Must remember to try it sometime :biggrin:

My cell has camera--so just to be ornery I took a picture. Mmmmm, it must that a big camera DOES take great pictures!!!!!!:eek: 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.