1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Banana Spider

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Yvette, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Yvette

Yvette

Jan 3, 2007
    Texas
    Went for a walk at a park down the road and must have seen about 10 of these along the path.

[​IMG]

Removing a leaf from her web.
    bananaspider4.

bananaspider3.

2. Counter

Counter

Sep 18, 2007
    London
    Oooooh, I like those!

3. Beautiful! The genus Nephila is one of my favorite groups of spiders - so large and so pretty.

BTW - this is the harmless verson of the two species called banana spider. The S-American genus Phoneutria OTOH can bite seriously and has a strong venom, but this Nephila is not aggressive and the venom is not a problem.

They are also called silk spiders because the main thread of their web is very tough. Generally, the web is extremely sticky - I know from personal experience as I ran into them numerous times in the forsts of Burma and Indonesia. In Sulawesi (Indonesia) the fishermen collect the webs and use them for fishing - the fish get stuck to the glue drops of the web.

Cheers

4. Yvette

Yvette

Jan 3, 2007
    Texas
    Thanks. Glad you like them.

5. Yvette

Yvette

Jan 3, 2007
    Texas
    :biggrin: Thank you Harry. I knew that you would give us some interesting details about this spider. I couldn't believe how many there were. I don't care if they are not venemous - I would not like to have one of them crawling on me. I think the early morning joggers in the park must run into them all the time. I will make sure I only go later in the day. Interesting fact about fishing with the webs. I must tell my sons that trick.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.