1. mematsu

mematsu

May 2, 2007
    los angeles
    I have a shoot tonight at a bar with from what I've heard has rather poor lighting. Three spots across the stage which look more like floods. I have an SB600 with a D300 and a D50. I plan to bring my 11-16 2.8, Sig 30 1.4, and 85 1.4.

My game plan is to shoot mainly with the 30mm w/o flash and mix the 85mm and wide shots in. I don't have a bracket, but I'm thinking the SB-600 could really be my friend.

Can anyone share a few tips?

2. Nothing like advanced planning :rolleyes:.

Personally, I'd go with the stage lighting, which can look pretty cool.

62027195.gif

Flash in that kind of environment is very tricky, and you'd probably spoil more pictures than you'd improve.

Jmho.

3. Walter

Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
    You can use the flash at -1 flash comp, set to slow sync, and boost your ISO to 800 from the D300. That will let you try to maximize the effect of the stage lighting, but still add in a touch of flash for "sparkle" in the eyes and shadow fill and shutter speed. Use the diffuser dome to soften the flash a little more and it will have a more natural stage lighting look.

If you can get there early, I would ask the lighting folks what color of gels they will be using. Red is the absolute worst color they can use. It makes performers look like the are in a Vincent Price horror movie. If you know the band well, you might get them to intervene with the lighting tech on your behalf since the band is hiring you. Spot the performers with yellow or white. Use rich colors to paint the background. The background lights should be like a canvas on which the performers are displayed.

[​IMG]

In this photograph of John Rzeznik (The Goo Goo Dolls), he is spotted with white and the background is painted with blue sapphire colored lighting. I have others from other shows where the background is lighted with a ruby red. One has an emerald green light on the background with yellow lighting on the performer, which turned out amazing!

4. At a recent gig I did, I shot with 2 SB-28's triggered with Pocket Wizards.

1 Camera left and the other camera right, both fired off the roof with bounce cards, camera right was gelled red, and camera left was bare. I shot with White Balance for daylight.

Try dragging your shutter with the flash

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. mematsu

mematsu

May 2, 2007
    los angeles
    Thanks everyone. I'll try a bit of all the tips.

6. mematsu

mematsu

May 2, 2007
    los angeles
    Thanks for the responses. It gave me a few things to think about before I went.

I ended up bouncing most of the shots with my 600. Didn't think it would work too well as the ceiling was dark and high.

Overall it was a really fun night and I caught myself engrossed in the band most of the time.

The Skabbs at Suzy's in Hermosa Beach, CA. July 17, 2008.

Here's a few in B&W....

bounced off the floor TOK11-16...
    p60037517-4.png

30mm...
    View attachment 222947

85mm...
    [​IMG]

overexposed a bit TOK11-16...
    View attachment 222950

and a few of the crowd...30mm
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]