Band shoot

Discussion in 'People' started by virtuamike, Nov 21, 2005.

1. My 2nd studio session. Tried some new things with the lighting. I ended up cheating on the 1st shot. Used 2 lights as key for front and rear row and I didn't have a 3rd light with a modifier big enough to act as a fill (couldn't figure out how to put the softbox together) so I composited 2 exposures together and blended for fill.

band01_full.

band02_full.

band03_full.

band04_full.

band05_full.

2. Cool shots. I like 'em!

3. cheat or not, bottom line is these are very intense and usable images for a CD insert. You should be proud

4. Ray C.

Ray C.

Nov 7, 2005
    Thailand
    Great stuff Mike! Possibly a bit hot on the band portrait...a little too much side light for me

I particularly like the 4th shot w/guitar in the foreground! Outstanding!!

5. TheKO

TheKO

May 3, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    Great shots

I like the "feel" these shots provide. Nice job.

6. Good job Mike. The band should like these.

7. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I like the use of dramatic lighting, I think it fits very well here. The first shot, it looks like maybe you used a fairly wide lens and the members in front are emphasized much more than the guys in back. That may have been intentional and fitting with their places in the band, I don't know. The individual portraits are all good. In the second shot I kind of wish there was a corresponding catchlight in the (camera) right eye to match the one in the left. Third shot is good though if maybe his chin was resting on his hands instead of his hands hiding his mouth it would have been better? I like the use of perspective on the fourth shot. Last shot is simple but effective.

Overall I think you did really well, I'm sure the band will be pleased.