Banding Issue Update

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Baywing, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Nikonians thread :http://www.nikonians.org/dcforum/DCForumID202/15916.html
    Summary, Nikon Sweden has confirmed banding issues and the results appear to be repeatable. Nikon Japan has been informed. They are not sure of the fix, firmware or hardware, but Nikon Sweden says their customers will be taken care of. There is speculation it might be limited to certain batches, but due to the nature of what you have to do to get the result, it could be more widespread as many folks don't shoot conditions where it is likely to occur.

2. I read the same post and thought it was interesting. I have not weighed in on the banding issue. I have tried to duplicate it but cannot. I may not be shooting the right subject or cropping way. Time will tell what Nikon will do.

3. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I don't think we can or should jump to any conclusions at this time. It is possible that this issue only affects a number of cameras as opposed to all. I have not seen the issue on my D200, but I haven't yet shot it under the conditions where it seems to show up. I'll likely run a test or two in the next week just for my own knowledge, but not having seen it so far leads me to think that it isn't an issue for me. I'm sure Nikon will do the right thing.

4. nfoto

nfoto Guest

This banding issue is slightly baffling. From my experiments yesterday, I thought I would have severe banding when I shot this morning (in the half-light of an early January morning) at 800 & 1250 "ISO", plus intentional underexposure. No way. Nothing at all.

5. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    According to what I am reading, it's supposed to occur in images with significant over exposure. I just checked an image of mine on P-base and it looks like it has some banding in a lighter area. Will have to check the original shot when I get home. Checked, no banding, just a nice OOF background of a bench with slats.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2006
  6. fotoguy

fotoguy Guest

Not underexposure, it is the opposite. Banding problem is real !

I do not think the banding is seen too much in underexposure. It is the opposite.

I have seen many posts where the banding appears really in blown out subjects. Other people are saying the same thing.

This is a very good post describing the problem. It is from DPreview:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=16563888

As you can see the problem is described in detail and not all D200 may be affected. And it seems that it is a real problem.

It may be true that banding is something inherent in digital cameras under certain conditions. But what the reports are saying is that banding in the D200 is quite noticeable and not just under certain extraordinary conditions.

That is why this issue has been now elevated to Nikon Japan and is going to be evaluated.

The banding is real and I think Nikon is going to have to come up with some kind of fix to this.

7. fotoguy

fotoguy Guest

Nikon has now acknowledged the problem!!!

It has now being acknowledged by Nikon. Not all units are affected but the problem is real. There are D200 out there that are defective. They may recall some units.

8. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Well, my review sample only can be provoked to show banding with underexposure. I think the action taken by Nikon points to my tentative hypothesis being given additional support.

If the camera (or rather, the circuitry inside it) is faulty, it probably behaves in an irregular fashion.

9. fotoguy

fotoguy Guest

Then you do not really have a defective unit. The problem which has been acknowledged is quite pronounced and happens on overexposure, not underexposure.

If you do not have a defective unit there is not much you can do with tests.

We should expect official word from Nikon Japan anytime now.

10. nfoto

nfoto Guest

I never said I had a defective unit, only that I can provoke banding with it. That is what testing is all about, finding out things.