Banff, Yoho IR Pics + I Need Lens Help!

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by lexiticus, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Ok I'll start off with my question
    I broke my Nikon 18-70mm af-s a few days ago when it and my modified D70 took a tumble (Knocked an internal element loose, so now I have a semi tilt shift lens..)

Now I use the 18-70 on my D70 because it has no hotspots, and little flare, and I can manually focus it to get a sharp image at f6+ consistently.
    However, now that I need to replace it, i'm wondering if I should consider any other lenses, It would also be for use in the 20mm+ range on my D300, As my lenses hop around a bit, And I have a bit of a Zoom gap from 20-80mm.
    (10-20mm, 24, 30, 50, 80-200)

Anyone have any experience with the wider zooms that I might use to replace it? Hotspots must be negligable as I stitch a lot of panoramics.

And finally heres the pics!

Banff Springs Hotel
    [​IMG]

Emerald Lake, Yoho
    [​IMG]

Emerald Lake, Yoho
    365226825_XFy5f-XL.

Lake Louise, Banff
    Wasn't actually going to edit this picture, until I saw the canoe in the bottom left, Gives it a sense of scale.
    365227993_YVmNj-XL.

Moraine Lake, Banff
    After I broke my lens (Top half of the picture is out of focus)
    [​IMG]

Takkakaw Falls, Yoho
    Broken lens makes it look like a bit of a tilt shift, still wish I had everything in focus...
    [​IMG]

Lake Louise, Banff
    [​IMG]

Lake Louise, Banff
    [​IMG]

Natural Bridges, Yoho
    [​IMG]

2. Stunning Photos !!

As for the lens choice... I've tried the sigma 10-20 on my D70 & D80 IR and both show hot spots ? The best lens I've used to date is the 24-120VR.

DnA

3. 24-120, hmm that could be quite usefull,
    I've found the 10-20 Sigma is horrible on Infrared, Nasty hotspots and soft no matter what.

Thanks!

4. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Check the lens reviews here:

http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html

Scroll down and click on "lens reviews" in yellow, then scroll to the bottom of the page to select the focal range you are interested in. Many reviews give info on how well the lens does handling IR.

5. I have found that the Nikon 18-200VR lens works well on my modded D70IR camera.

6. Thanks, It actually looks like the cheapo 18-55 VR would be the best option for me. Only problem with that being that if I remember right it has no distance markings on its focus ring.

7. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    My Tokina 12-24 has hotspot. My 24-70 is ok sometimes, and has a faint hot spot other times; not sure if it's focal-length dependent, or just depends on the scene. It has ruined some panos though. I'm thinking I may just try to pick up a used 18-70 and keep that mounted on my D70-IR since that seems to be the preferred lens for most IR shoooters.

Excellent series, BTW. I especially like the compositions and tonal ranges in "Emerald Lake, Yoho", and "Natural Bridges, Yoho".

8. Awesome shooting...

9. Very nice, I like the emerald lake picture.

10. I picked up a copy of the 18-55 for my soon-to-be-converted D100, but haven't tested it yet. I'll probably only use it for wider shots, as the Beast works incredibly well for IR converted cameras.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.