Bangkok trip lens choice

I'm after some advice of lens choice for a trip I am doing to Bangkok late next month.

I have a conference to attend for work and managed to wrangle an extra few days to wander around and take a look.

I'll be taking the D7000 and a couple of lenses, I'm not too fussed about weight - but definitely don't want to lug too much. (Which I seem to regularly do at home.:tongue:)

I'm thinking I'll take my Tokina 11-16, Nikkor 70-300VR and something in between , either my Nikkor 16-85VR or Tamron 17-50.

Then I find myself asking if I should take a prime :confused:.. and or maybe the SB700. :rolleyes:

Any advice , particularly if you have been there, would be appreciated.

Most photography will either be on walks early morning or late evening during the conference and anywhere I can get to in the 2 days prior. (So I'm thinking temples, markets, people etc.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The 105 micro and TC is an option I never even thought of !

I don't have a 1.4 but do have 1.7 - Thank you, gives me another idea to throw into the mix :biggrin:

I'm after some advice of lens choice for a trip I am doing to Bangkok late next month.

Most photography will either be on walks early morning or late evening during the conference and anywhere I can get to in the 2 days prior. (So I'm thinking temples, markets, people etc.)

You will be there when it is pretty hot and humid (some will say when is Bangkok not hot and humid) so the early mornings and late evenings are good times to go out, and this means a faster aperture. Plus, most temples do not allow flash. Suggest you bring the 35 f/1.8. In addition to that, I would bring the 11-16 and 16-85 and these 3 would cover about 90-95% of what you will run into, unless you shoot a lot of candids/distant shots. If so, pack the 70-300VR.

If you are near the MTS/Skytrain by all means use them. Taxi are everywhere, but sometimes it can take forever to get around. For your excursion, I suggest going to the weekend Chatuchak market (Mo Chit station) and also going down to the river one evening near the Saphan Taskin station (S6), lots of beautiful hotels in that area. If you have the time, take a bus/waterway trip to Ayuthaya. Bus up, see the temples and float back on the river to a great afternoon brunch (here the 70-300VR would be best). It's a 3/4 day trip, but highly suggested. Your hotel can arrange it. Others might suggest the Damoneon Saduak floating market, but it is almost 90 minutes out of BKK and you will spend about as much time as the Ayuthaya trip, but see less.

Bangkok and 99% of its residents are just great, but it is a huge and congested city. Have fun, remember that your smile will get you great returns, and take lots of photos.

James

Last edited by a moderator:
I spent a week in Thailand this year and only took the 14-24 and the 85. So I suggest taking your UWA the landscapes there are beautiful. Take the 35 1.8 for night markets etc. I didnt use the 85 much except for one specific instance. I certainly didnt miss teh reach.

If you can go north and see Chiang Mai. Beautiful. I have a few threads around here somewhere with my shots from Thailand. Have fun, dont forget to bargin basically everywhere except for shopping centres.

I have been in Bangkok & Thailand about 10 times.

In towns/markets I mainly use 35 FF. For scenic views a little wider is fine .... but not really necessary.
And I would suggest to have a light tele, too. Sometimes you want to make portraits of people or picture animals. In my case that is all full frame.

Therefor I suggest to use your Tamron 17-50 (because I prefer the picture quality compared to the Nikon 16-85), and the 105 on your D7000.
And if the weight is not enough: a tripod in addition would make sense.

Thailand is beautiful! I suggest to hire a car and to drive around (Isan is interesting, too, to see Thailand!) by your own - the streets are very well maintained and easy to drive. (only exception: Bangkok. Use the sky train or a water taxi).
By the way: you can eat EVERYTHING on the streets - no problems (if it is not too spicy for you).

Greetings, Jan

Real Name
Randy
I've been 2x and trust me you don't want to carry a lot of gear and you don't want to be changing lenses often

I'd take my D800 and my 24-120 but the D700 would be great as well

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom