Bar Mitzvah Details....

Discussion in 'Formal Portraits and Weddings' started by Jetta32696, Sep 22, 2008.

1. I had the opportunity to shoot my first "mock" Bar Mitzvah last week. As I usually do, I showed up early to check out the area I would be shooting in. I had about 30 minutes before the "mock" photos started, so I decided to take a few photos in the Synagogue's main prayer area.

Here are a few pics from my time there...

377890233_ftA9M-L.

377890212_U8XXK-L.

377890183_M99NM-L.

377890159_yADTs-L.

I got a little creative with this one, I think... The young man's last name begins with the letter "A" and I thought this sign on the pew was fitting, being a Bar Mitzvah and alll...

377890090_uJ6su-L.

377890086_MGJoJ-L.

377890073_5JRCn-L.

377890023_EJqb8-L.

377890018_4LgSi-L.

Shots with D2Hs and a combination of the 85 1.4, 60mm Micro, 17-55 and 70-200. Comments always welcome.

2. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Very professional looking compositions . I bet they were happy :) 

3. Thanks! So far I've gotten a great response, I'm still editing the pics from the Yankee game a week ago... Yes, the party was at the Yankee Game!! :biggrin:

4. Keith, these are great. You've captured the "feeling" of the event with these photos.

5. Thanks Mitch. These shots were taken mostly to kill time, but also to capture the small details that I couldn't find on any Bar Mitzvah photography sites that I viewed. I think I may have found a new market to hit. I have another Bar Mitzvah booked (contract received) for January, but I won't be doing the ceremonial shots, just the party afterwards.

6. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    Hi Keith
    You always catch such great detail shots - thoughtful and interesting. How was this a "mock"? Did they let you practice shoot?

7. Very nice set Keith.

8. Keith, I'm with all the above. Awesome work and flawless composition here. :smile:

9. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    #3 and #4 are very nicely done, I'll have to add those to my next shoot (day after tomorrow :wink:) . Just make sure you don't touch the Torah with you hands or gear. And it it were to fall :eek: .....

10. What's a "mock" Bar Mitzvah?

Bruce

11. Kemnik

Kemnik

Aug 21, 2007
    San Jose, CA
    Very nice indeed Keith!! You made those details look very professional.

12. Keith, I love the shot with the spines of the books. I just love balanced lines!

13. Thanks Leah! I labeled this a "mock" Bar Mitzvah because in this particular Synagogue, they wouldn't allow photographs during the time of worship. All of the shots in the main prayer room were "staged" early one morning with the family and a Rabbi.

Thank you Alex.

Thanks alot John! This was my first time even being in a Synagogue, and I just wanted to capture a few details that I hadn't seen previously.

Thanks David. I found out that the Torah was not to be touched before it came out of the locked vault. I wish I could have gotten more shots of the ornate details in the silver that cover the wrapped Torahs. The vault is nothing short of Fort Knox!!!

See comments above... :biggrin:

Thanks alot Kurt!! I'm just trying to capture everything I see.

Thank you Johnny. :biggrin: I took about 10-15 shots of those books and had a hard time focusing. Got a few that I liked finally.

14. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    This is normally called the rehearsal. Starting from some reformed through orthodox congregations you are not allowed (for lack of a more detailed explanation) to turn anything on or off from sundown Friday night to sundown Saturday night (the sabbath). Timers have made things much easier in the modern day world. But anyway, the point being pressing the shutter is considered work on the day of rest. Some reformed congregations allow photography during the service. My wives cringes when she even thinks of me shooting during the service, which I have done a few times. But then most weddings are on Saturday anyway (although not many Jewish weddings).

But I much prefer do shot the formals and such at the rehearsal even in those temples. It allows me to bring in my monolights and affords me the time you never get with wedding formals. And the woodwork looks better as well.

http://www.blueberryphoto.com/gallery/5938348_Wz6TS#280587857_Z3tnM

15. Thanks David. I had no idea about all of this. In this particular case, it wasn't a "rehearsal" because the actual Bar Mitzvah had passed. I really appreciate the information. I love this place.

16. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    Beautiful...I really like your compositions Keith, well done.

17. BarkisPhoto

BarkisPhoto

Jul 20, 2007
    New England
    Hi, Keith -- excellent work. I can see how you enjoyed this shoot! (And, David: fascinating background information. Thanks!)

Best Regards,

18. Thanks Linda. I have to find something new as I'm getting tired of the same old "tilt" of the camera. Many of my shoots, no matter what the subject are all beginning to look the same.

Thank you John. It was very different for me. I'm always willing to try something a little different. It's even better when I'm getting paid to do it. :biggrin:

19. Oops...double post.

20. Miguel

Miguel

May 12, 2006
    Norwalk, CT
    Great series. You definitely have the eye for detail.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.