Barbed Wire

Barbed Wire:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks both - tried it in B+W - I prefer the coloured BG to shades of grey but here's one specially for you:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Nicely seen. I am trying to decide whether the bug is the subject of the image, or is it the wire? Nothing wrong with an image making me think, but I usually like to actually know the subject the photographer is trying to show me. If the subject is the little critter, it may be too small to carry the theme. If the wire is the theme, then the bug may detract from your story.
I am actually 2/3 through re-reading Schindler's List which may be why the wire fascinates me so. I find it interesting the way I look at images from different perspectives depending on what is going on my life. My perspective certainly does not change the image, but does change how I see it.
Thanks for sharing and making me think.
Gary

It's immediately clear to me that the primary subject is the wire and the secondary subject is the bug.
If the subject is the wire, the bug may detract. But it gives a reason to take the picture right now. To me it confuses the story- how does barbed wire interact with insects? But heck, it makes me think. That is a good thing, and one that many images do not do.
Gary

how does barbed wire interact with insects?
For me, that's not the question, though anyone that knows the answer to that question (I don't) might understandably feel different. Instead, for me it's all about the location of the insect that draws attention to the subject. There is only one other place in the frame that the insect's location would have been just as strong.

It also doesn't matter to me whether Dave noticed the insect and intentionally released the shutter in time to photograph it; whether it was by luck or intention, the result is the same and I only care about results. That's understandably not everybody's way of looking at it.

I only became aware of the Bug when reviewing the image in camera - the jumble of wire caught my eye and seemed like a good subject for showing what the Pin Point Focusing would do. I could have used a smaller aperture and got the wire in focus from corner to corner but I think that it would have brought other distractions into focus. It would also have necessitated getting the tripod out of the boot of the car!

What occurred to me afterwards was whether the Bug had a Bug on its back and whether that Bug also had a Bug on its back!

I didn't consider it to be a distraction - it was just there. In a different scenario like a studio shot I would consider removing it but it was there and part of the "story".

I also think that, in this case, colour works best.

DG

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom