Barber Shop - Stephenville, Texas- Added Color Version -Let Me Know

R

Rick Waldroup

I wasn't quite sure where to post this. It is more of a street shot than PJ.

The camera was a D1x and 18-70mm zoom.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice Shot Rick. It almost has a European feel.... funny, I've never really thought of Stephenville that way:biggrin:

R

Rick Waldroup

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Bob. This is in downtown Stephenville, and yes, I had the same impression you did. The architecture is a little weird for that area. It is not what you would expect to see in this Texas town.:biggrin:

Here is the color version. Let me know folks, which one works better.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

R

Rick Waldroup

Thanks Gale. Yep David he is bald. He is also wearing black clothes and he just blended right into the super dark doorway.

R

Rick Waldroup

Thanks to everyone for the input. I can't decide which one either. Sometimes I lean to the color, and then sometimes to the B&W. Maybe the color?

Thanks once again, it is valuable to hear what others think.

Rick,
I am definitely in the b&w camp. The color takes away from all the different textures on that wall and my eye is drawn away from the most interesting thing - the old gentleman negotiating those steps.
I see the blue and yellow door as a separate shot. Or maybe the blue/yellow with the area of peeling blue paint and barber pole.
I like the b&w a lot.
David

Rick,
I am definitely in the b&w camp. The color takes away from all the different textures on that wall and my eye is drawn away from the most interesting thing - the old gentleman negotiating those steps.
I see the blue and yellow door as a separate shot. Or maybe the blue/yellow with the area of peeling blue paint and barber pole.
I like the b&w a lot.
David
I have to agree 100% with what MurphyD said!

The color version looks to me like a run down area of a city but the B & W version feels like it was set in the 60’s era and the architecture goes it with and the place does not look shabby.

M

matthew.paul

Nice shot. I'm leaning towards the B&W image, because I think the bright blue door distracts from the man. In the B&W image, he is the first thing I look at. In the color image, I stare at the blue door for a couple seconds before looking around at the rest of the image. At least, thats my opinion. Doesn't change the fact that is a great photo to start with.

R

Rick Waldroup

See, I was leaning to the color, and I am basically a B&W shooter, so this is funny because a few of you like the B&W version. :smile: I shot B&W film for over 30 years so I think in B&W when I go out shooting and I probably convert about 80-90% if what I shoot into B&W.

I appreciate all of the comments because it really does help a person to keep growing and trying new things in photography. And it is nice to hear things about the photo that I never thought of. It is much appreciated.

I like both, but I'd pick the color, it holds my attention longer - the old paint on one side, a newly painted door on the other, the stark black of the clothing, you couldn't have planned it better :)

P

photomate

I go for the bw. But the man in the bw misses a lot of details you can se in the color one. (also nice to see)

D

DJ Matt

wow great shots! I kind of like the B/W ones though

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom