Barber Shop - Stephenville, Texas- Added Color Version -Let Me Know

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by Rick Waldroup, Apr 25, 2007.

1. I wasn't quite sure where to post this. It is more of a street shot than PJ.

The camera was a D1x and 18-70mm zoom.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2007
  2. BlueMerle

BlueMerle

Feb 17, 2007
    Fort Worth
    Nice Shot Rick. It almost has a European feel.... funny, I've never really thought of Stephenville that way:biggrin:

3. Thanks Bob. This is in downtown Stephenville, and yes, I had the same impression you did. The architecture is a little weird for that area. It is not what you would expect to see in this Texas town.:biggrin:

Here is the color version. Let me know folks, which one works better.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I like the color version.
    But I am not much for B/w

5. I'd go with the color version too. Isn't the man exiting the barber shop bald? Guess he needed a beard trim.

6. Thanks Gale. Yep David he is bald. He is also wearing black clothes and he just blended right into the super dark doorway.

7. Lowolf

Lowolf

Jan 26, 2006
    Oregon
    like the B/W one well done

8. Both versions are nice but if I had to pick, I'd go with the colour one!

9. I seem to like whatever version I'm viewing at that moment. Lots more detail in the color, I'd probably go with that one.

10. Thanks to everyone for the input. I can't decide which one either. Sometimes I lean to the color, and then sometimes to the B&W. Maybe the color?

Thanks once again, it is valuable to hear what others think.

11. MurphyD

MurphyD

Jan 17, 2007
    South Texas
    Rick,
    I am definitely in the b&w camp. The color takes away from all the different textures on that wall and my eye is drawn away from the most interesting thing - the old gentleman negotiating those steps.
    I see the blue and yellow door as a separate shot. Or maybe the blue/yellow with the area of peeling blue paint and barber pole.
    I like the b&w a lot.
    David

12. I have to agree 100% with what MurphyD said!

13. The color version looks to me like a run down area of a city but the B & W version feels like it was set in the 60’s era and the architecture goes it with and the place does not look shabby.

14. Scotty_R

Scotty_R

Jan 1, 2006
    Virginia
    Both versions are good for different reasons...it's an excellent shot either way. Well done.

15. matthew.paul

matthew.paul Guest

Nice shot. I'm leaning towards the B&W image, because I think the bright blue door distracts from the man. In the B&W image, he is the first thing I look at. In the color image, I stare at the blue door for a couple seconds before looking around at the rest of the image. At least, thats my opinion. Doesn't change the fact that is a great photo to start with.

16. BW. No question in my mind.

17. See, I was leaning to the color, and I am basically a B&W shooter, so this is funny because a few of you like the B&W version. :smile: I shot B&W film for over 30 years so I think in B&W when I go out shooting and I probably convert about 80-90% if what I shoot into B&W.

I appreciate all of the comments because it really does help a person to keep growing and trying new things in photography. And it is nice to hear things about the photo that I never thought of. It is much appreciated.

18. StephanieHelen

StephanieHelen

Jun 9, 2006
    I like both, but I'd pick the color, it holds my attention longer - the old paint on one side, a newly painted door on the other, the stark black of the clothing, you couldn't have planned it better :)

19. photomate

photomate Guest

I go for the bw. But the man in the bw misses a lot of details you can se in the color one. (also nice to see)

20. DJ Matt

DJ Matt Guest

wow great shots! I kind of like the B/W ones though