Barn quilt at sunset

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Pa, Oct 12, 2017.

1. DSC_5998-HDR-XL.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Truly a lovely scene! And a beautiful sunset! Scene seems a bit flat. I tried adding +.25 exposure and reset the black point -15 (In ACR) to brighten it just a bit but not change the fact that it was taken at sunset.

3. This image just touches me with its beauty and Americana pastoral setting. Well done Jim and thanks for sharing it with us.

4. Thanks, Karen. I had tried things like you suggest but had come back to what I posted. But here is the same image with your suggested modifications.

DSC_5998-HDR-2-XL.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  5. Thanks, Gordon. This is on the property of the lady who does the barn quilts. When they bought this farm they lived in that white house for a year while they built a new house a bit higher up the hill. This photo was made from the new house.

6. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    You are the best judge of the image, Jim. If you consider printing it, I would really explore a few more alternatives. I even went +.35 exposure, -15 black point and +45 for the shadows! LOL! The paper chosen would also have an impact on how it looks printed.

This is really a wonderful image and I'm sure the owners will treasure it!

7. Thanks, Karen. The one you started with had already been massaged a lot.

For the record, here is what I started with (direct conversion from NEF to jpg):

DSC_5998_Orig.

8. Definitely a pastoral scene of sublime beauty

9. merlin

merlin

Oct 12, 2010
    Northern New Mexico
    Merlin Emrys
    I like the softer tones of the original. Well done, Jim!

10. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Going by the image title, I assumed this was an HDR of multiply exposures. Or was this simply processing a single raw with different exposures? Either way, I think there is a lot of information in the image that can be used to reveal a somewhat brighter image while retaining the time of day essence.

11. Yes, pastoral is indeed the term. And I too much prefer the soft, peaceful character of Jim's original post. You can just about hear the quiet; the brightened version is just too forward.

12. I'm glad I got this photo when I did. I sent it to the owner who responded: "The second heavy rain knocked out the soffit from the 2nd floor of the old house in front and dropped a bunch of black something and soffit pieces around, so the view is not so great at the moment!"

13. Thank you all for your kind comments.

14. This is a good image whichever one you like capturing the Autumn colours. I'm surprised the original is so dark, unfortunately when posts are attached to the cafe the Exif is removed.

Cheers

15. Thanks, Alan. The original is dark because I underexposed it, trying to keep the highlights from blowing out.

16. Binnur

Binnur

Oct 4, 2017
    Izmir / Turkey
    Lovely image with soft colors Jim. I prefer your original as it has a painterly look.