Barn Swallow and I dunno what from PA

Discussion in 'Birds' started by twig, May 30, 2005.

1. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    These birds live in my father's barn, they are so incredibly fast that I cannot compare them to anything I have ever seen before. They eat bugs out of the air over the pond, and they are playful, and impossible to photograph at all before I got a d2h, shots are with 70-200VR and some also with 1.4TC

Looking at my pictures, I think we have two different birds here, the one in the fourth picture is so different, but I dunno. In the air they look like a blur of color that shines blue in the sun on their back. They cartwheel around and change direction like acrobats

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ok this other bird my dad says is a gold finch, but it was bigger than any finch I have ever seen, it was almost as big as a robin. This picture is cropped so it looks poor, but if anyone can identify this bird for sure I would love to know.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

I think #4 is a Cliff Swallow.

3. I believe the first swallow is a tree swallow and the second is a barn swallow. not positive and ken could be right, i need to check my book. nice captures and I know how difficult those are to catch in flight.

4. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    Dave,
    I think you are right, thanks so much for your identification!

5. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Jees, how did you ever get ANY shot of them?

I've got them around my pond too, and I can't get a single decent shot of 'em. Good going, love the 1st, but esp the 2nd shot! Takes a lot of practice to capture an image of a flying bird. I tak eit you're loving the "new" 2H?

6. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    Yes, however for birding I think a D2x is really almost mandatory unless you have super big glass or fantastic technique, as you have to crop like mad and the extra resolution is a plus.

7. Hi Twig,

This is just a guess, but based on your size description, the UFO might be an Orchard Oriole in first summer plumage. The one in the Sibley book has the same beak shape and a small black bib under it. At 7.25 inches long it is the right size and is seen in Pennsylvania.

I'm sure others will help out here and may have better ideas. Where is Janet Zinn when we need her?

Bob

8. Nice shots.....the swallow is a tough bird to capture...they are so fast!! :D :D :D :D

9. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    Bob,
    Thanks on that UFO, I thought it was an Oriole myself, but I was told that they are orange- I know usually, but...
    "Orchard Oriole" I will have to look that up.

PhotoDawg, thanks, they were super tough, though they like to sorta swoop around you while you are taking photos (providing plenty of photo ops). My dad says they are eating bugs you strike up by breathing/walking, but I suspect they are just playing with you.
    When I didn;t bring out my camera, I swore they would fly around me so s-l-o-w-l-y, as if they were messing with me cause they knew.

10. well it looks like you don't really need me at all! You all do just fine without me, lol. Bob got it right, its an Orchard Oriole and the others are Tree Swallows and the last swallow is a Barn Swallow. Typing fast as my battery is about to die here...

11. Very impressive captures of one of the toughest subjects to nail in flight. It is a little easier when they set down...

12. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    One last one
    [​IMG]