Barnegat Light Jetty - Same birds, different photographer

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Gordon Large, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Mike Mac is a tough act to follow, both because his images are so great and because he was (pick one) brave enough or stupid enough to walk all the way to the wet end of the jetty. :eek: You've seen Mike's images, this is the first installment of mine. No particular order, but I hope you like Harlequins! :smile:

Enjoy -
    Gordon

View attachment 24107

View attachment 24108

View attachment 24109

View attachment 24110

View attachment 24111

View attachment 24112

View attachment 24113

View attachment 24115

View attachment 24116

View attachment 24117

2. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Excellent Shooting Gordon

I absoultely must find me some harlequin ducks this weekend...I've already warned the wife that we're off on an adventure and not coming home till we locate them on cape Anne somewhere....

3. Gordon.
    these are outstanding images and you should be VERY proud of them. Composition and exposures are incredible!
    Dave

4. Nice shots Gordon. I like the first Black-bellied Plover and the pair of male Harlequins. I can;t believe how close you guys are able to approach the Harlequins. Simply not possible out here. They either swim or fly away if I get inside 100 feet.

Cheers
    Tim

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Gordon,
    They are all beautiful.......

6. Fantastic Gordon--I'd certainly be happy/satisfied with any of those Harlequin shots! My favorite it the two side by side..how cool!

7. Hi Gordon, Hope all is well! Very nice images! You and Mike were spot on this day. :wink:

Anthony

8. mike17112

mike17112 Guest

WOW! Wonderful pictures Gordon, simply excellent!

Mike

9. Fantastic shots Gordon arent they just beautiful birds

10. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks for the nice words in the header, Jim. Good luck on your hunt this weekend. I'm sure you already know this, but harlequins like rocky coasts (which, as recall from my two career stops in the Boston area, describes Cape Anne). I have no idea whether there is some special attraction to jetties (if there are any on the Cape), but they sure like them in NJ. That's probably because they are the only rocks on the Jersey shore!

Be sure to tell your wife that she will need about 4-6 layers covered by a water-proof layer from head to feet. I bet she is just going to be thrilled! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Good luck -
    Gordon

11. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Dave. I am proud of them, but not nearly as proud as I am that I - someone who has acrophobia, fear of falling and is a total klutz when jumping over rocks - actually walked out on that jetty! :cool: :cool:

Gordon

12. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Tim. That's weird that you can't get close to harlequins. I fully expected some of ours to come up and ask for a handout! The jetty we were on gets a lot of traffic despite being fenced off and a little dangerous. Jetties are the closest that the Jersey coast ever gets to a rocky coast, so both certain kinds of birds and all kinds of birders and photographers come there. Maybe the harleys are just more used to people.

Gordon

13. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Gale! I'm really looking forward to shooting with you again next month! It's gonna be a whole lot warmer than it was out on that jetty!
    And a lot of fun.

Gordon

14. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Janet. The two side by side really are cool, but I think my favorite is the two guys splashing around in the water. I always like images of birds doing things - flight, catching a fish, or taking a very cold bath!

Gordon

15. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hi Tony -
    Doing fine, thanks. And thanks for the nice comment. Mike and I may have been spot on, but at least in my case I'm much prouder that I gathered up my courage to walk out onto that jetty! :biggrin:

When will it be time to start with the ospreys again?

Gordon

16. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hey Mike - Thanks for the very nice comment! :smile:

Gordon

17. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Mike. Yup, they really are beautiful. I hope the weather is nice next Saturday because I'm going back with a group from another forum. And if the rocks aren't real wet I'm determined to get out to the end of the jetty! :eek:

Gordon

18. Blake

Blake Guest

Excellent shots Gordon! My favourites are the third and tenth from the top. Looks like I will have to try my hand at something like this!

19. March 26th! I'll let you know as soon as they arrive.

Anthony

20. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Nice images Gordon. I still owe you a response on the MI3 plans. I'll get back with you this weekend.