1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Barrel Racing

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Marlene, Aug 27, 2008.

1. The first weekend in August we went to a small town rodeo and I had my first opportunity to use my D300 to shoot some action. I just wish I would have another opportunity now before winter as I would do a few things different. I used the 70-300 VR lens.

329685523.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

329685514.jpg

Marlene

2. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    # 2 looks like a really good shot you got the timing & framing right , maybe crop alittle tighter ,but looks alittle soft to me . Although its early and my eyes are still blurry so it could be me.

3. impressive action. the second is a litle soft but still good stuff.

4. I think that may be because I was shooting in "P" mode. That's why I wish there was another rodeo this year as I would do it different. BTW I decided against "P" mode for pretty much anything now.

biggstr6 timing is much easier with 5/6 frames per second. :smile:

Thanks for your comments folks.

Marlene

5. That looks like a cool event with nice action. Maybe next time try shooting A mode and as wide open as possible to up your shutter speed and blur the backgrounds.

6. I'll do that. Thanks.

Marlene

7. stphoto

stphoto

Feb 8, 2008
    Syracuse, NY
    I have shot barrel racing at the New York State Fair the last two years. The arena has terrible lighting and I use a 50mm f/1.8 which only gets me to 1/250s at ISO 1600. Still, I have a lot of fun working on my timing and composition. This photo was cropped.

361522965_FKWP7-L-1.jpg

Nikon D70/50 1.8D, 1/250s, f/1.8, ISO 1600, +0.3 EV

I like your timing for both of your photos, Marlene. I set up next to the second of the three barrels (the riders can go in either direction but most choose to go around this barrel second) so I can also pan the riders flying down the center after going around the third barrel, like this...

358428328_n6eQh-L-1.jpg

Same Exif as above except ISO was 1250 in this one.

8. Good idea for where to set up ST. I'll have to try it.

I enjoyed shooting the barrel racing the best. I did shoot bull riding, saddle and bareback riding but didn't get anything I was really happy with. Next year. :smile:

Marlene

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.