1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Baseball - Competitive 7/8 YO League

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by MrDalgof, Jul 18, 2008.

1. MrDalgof

MrDalgof

Apr 6, 2006
    Colorado, USA
    My son played on a competitive team of 7 and 8 year olds this past season. And although the kids were young, I was so impressed by their skills. While they are still developing their strength, they all possessed impressive talents and improved vastly over the course of the season. Naturally, I was particularly proud of my own son who was the team's starter and cleanup hitter.:biggrin:

Here's a taste:

1. My son at the plate driving the ball deep. Unfortunately the pregnant lady in the background is a bit distracting, but this was one of the best shots I took showing my son taking a BIG cut early in the count.
    [​IMG]

2. And my son on the "hill."
    314631006_wWnC6-XL.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

3. For being so young, this ballplayer had an incredible head for the game to match his physical skills.
    [​IMG]

4. Same guy as above sliding in under the tag at third.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All the parents of the guys on this team got along great, and we're all looking forward to following each other's sons as they move up. It was a great season. Now onto Fall Baseball!

Thanks for looking...

2. Nice shots!

I have to laugh at #5 though. The shot of that little kid with oversized adult glove is great. I've been working the 9-10 year old games this week, and they are a pleasure to watch as well as shoot. It's great to see the kids do well at baseball, which these days seems to be taking a backseat to soccer.

3. Awesome set of images there Chris. Love #5 too. That little guy was very serious about that pitch. :smile:

4. vz223

vz223

Dec 7, 2007
    NJ
    Super job Chris, I miss this age and wish I was more into sports photography when my son was this age.

5. MrDalgof

MrDalgof

Apr 6, 2006
    Colorado, USA
    Thanks, guys. The kid in #5 was also the teams main catcher, and he was tough, despite being one of the smallest guys on the team. Twice in one game while catching, he stood over the plate waiting for the throw to come in while one of the biggest kids in the league was bearing down on him. He got knock over both times but held onto the ball making the outs. You couldn't have ask for more drama from the big leagues.

6. MrDalgof

MrDalgof

Apr 6, 2006
    Colorado, USA
    Thanks, Vince. I think I probably go overboard taking pictures of my son. But I enjoy it and he'll appreciate it as he gets older. I know I wish I had at least just one shot of me playing baseball, but alas...

7. nice shots Chris...as Vince says, I too wish I had taken more when my son was doing this, brings back memories...

8. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Nice shooting Chris, you managed this series very well. I like the tight crops and the action is real good. I think there should be a law against spectators sitting behind the backstop, but that's just a photographer's rant. Thanks for sharing your images and post more real soon.

9. MrDalgof

MrDalgof

Apr 6, 2006
    Colorado, USA
    Thanks guys. I'll certainly be doing this again. Not only do I enjoy shooting these games, but the missus likes my photos. So thinking ahead, I keep reminding her that as our son gets older, he's going to be playing on bigger fields. Which in turn means I'll need longer glass. How can she say "No."?

10. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

Chris, some good shots here buddy !! personally i'm a fan of #2 but there all good and about going overboard..... dont worry about that.... you can never have to many good shots .... espically shots of people you care about..... i'lm looking forward to seeing more of your work here in the cafe !!

11. I just love the emotion that you have captured on those little guys faces. They're so cute.

12. MrDalgof

MrDalgof

Apr 6, 2006
    Colorado, USA
    Thank you for the complements, Topher. I'll definitely be posting more here hoping to improve as I do.

Well, by "overboard", I was remembering that I needed to remind myself to put the camera down a few times and just watch the game for enjoyment of it. For many of the games I was trying to capture everything in the camera. But then I realized I was missing some other action I would normally have seen, or missing out of some of the excitement of the game itself. In then end I struck a good balance, I think, and came away with some fond memories both electronic and in thought.

13. MrDalgof

MrDalgof

Apr 6, 2006
    Colorado, USA
    Thanks, Allstar.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.