Baseball, Hot dogs, Apple pie...

... and RAIN DELAYS!!!

We've had so much rain lately I'm starting to grow moss on my northern most side!! :biggrin:

Detroit Tigers latest home stand, sweep the White Sox, sweep the Dodgers!!

1- Bored? OK, I'm getting known for shooting managers and coaches blowing bubbles, but hey, they look good doing it!! This is Larry Bowa before the game on Friday evening, the FIRST EVER visit by the LA Dodgers!
312761377_mWN57-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2- The Dodgers coaching staff stands for the National Anthem. Hey Larry, GOTCHA again!
312761788_gVyYm-L.jpg

3- Dearborn, MI native Derek Lowe pitches against the Tigers in the first inning.
312763319_5aH9N-L.jpg

4- Jeff Kent makes a nice play and almost "shot puts" the ball to first for the out
312763589_naZ9J-L.jpg

5- the sign says it all, Marcus Thames went "yard" again!
312764449_8JkUW-L.jpg

6- Nate Robertson pitches in front of a packed house on Father's Day.
313855526_4TqHa-L.jpg

7- Polanco turns the double play in a downpour! BTW Mike, he's OUR second baseman!! :smile:
313856471_GLzQQ-L.jpg

8- Juan Pierre is "chillin" during the preparations to restart after the 1+ hour rain delay.
313857118_pZWbT-L.jpg

9- for that matter so is manager Joe Torre, what a great man!
313858108_ACs2n-L.jpg

10- Chan Ho Park, here's the wind up, and the pitch...
313859843_rvc6w-L.jpg

11- It pains me to post this one... but... Carlos Guillen is OUT at the plate.
313860710_uSKDQ-L.jpg

12- Curtis Granderson waits in the dugout, wearing Prostate cancer ribbon shaped eye black, on Father's Day
313861260_yNJdT-L.jpg

13- Cabrera's single to right
313862940_ZW23o-L.jpg

14- Another storm cloud just missed the stadium area!
313863510_aFkMw-L.jpg

I hope you like them, this was a fun Father's Day for a baseball addict!!

Wow Steve, these are really nice. Action images are always entertaining, they tell the story about the event. But the non-action images reveal the "backstage" life that the average person does not get to witness.

Excellent...I love the last one....I would love it even more if it was leveled and with a little free transform to straighten the walls & poles up. Poster size I think :)

All a super......great work.

Wow Steve, these are really nice. Action images are always entertaining, they tell the story about the event. But the non-action images reveal the "backstage" life that the average person does not get to witness.

Hey Frank, thanks!!
It's always fun to watch these guys get ready for the game, hang out, and just be themselves in the dugout. Plus, Joe Torre is just so cool he would make Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin look nervous!!

great pics Steve...how's Pudge doing these days? I heard rumbles he may be benched?

Great one of Lowe, he used to be one of ours...

Hey Chris, you challenge WINNER you! :wink:
Pudge is actually doing even better since they're having him split time behind the plate with Brandon Inge! He's batting 6 for 10 in the past three games he's played, and still throws the pill like he's 25 not 35.

And we know that Lowe was one of OURS in Michigan first, then the BoSox drafted him, had a few good years, now the Dodgers love him.

Sweet images, are these right out of the camera or did you PP them, also what lens are you using?

Brooks,

My PP is very minimal, so that the dailies and magazines will use them. If they're too sharp or too saturated they get turned down since they look too processed. Sharpening is normal out of the camera, my workflow adds very little to that, adjusts for auto levels which brightens up a few shots with heavy shadows or slightly dark, and that's about it.

Excellent...I love the last one....I would love it even more if it was leveled and with a little free transform to straighten the walls & poles up. Poster size I think :)

All a super......great work.

Randy,
I checked the alignment with the left edge of the scoreboard and the left field "fair pole" and the vertical alignment is SOOO close to dead nuts on that it's not worth messing with prior to deadline uploading. Roughly about 0.18 deg CW makes it perfect, so I'm good with it for now. The rest is the perspective you normally see with a wide angle, 18mm, type of shot.

I just meant to try and clean up the perspective from the wide angle lens... Hope you don't mind but the only way to explain it is to show it....like this:

TEMP313863510_aFkMw-L.jpg

Your original:
313863510_aFkMw-L.jpg

Hey Randy,

No issues here, I just post what I upload to the wire service. I let the PE who looks at it decide on what THEY want to crop it to make it work for them. Your crop is pretty good, I like more of the Flag & flag pole in it, but then that's what I was going for on the shot too, so why not? :wink:

Since this angle makes the flag pole look "bent" your crop makes it look more straight, which might happen if anyone prints it. Do you know anyone at SI or ESPN the mag that would like your crop?? :smile:

Do you know anyone at SI or ESPN the mag that would like your crop?? :smile:

No. But I have two AP photog friends that would wince at the angled flagpole...does that count? :biggrin:

I just have had an aversion for tilting buildings for along time...I love your shot, but it feels like it is falling over to me in the original....that's all. Peace.

Awesome set Steve. I never get tired of looking at your stuff. And I know you know how sick I was that the Tigers swept my beloved White Sox. :mad: I'm going to start to sound like Ozzie here in a minute. :smile: The Dodgers are really struggling too. Joe Torre has his work cut out for him there. Again, great set! Whine over.

No. But I have two AP photog friends that would wince at the angled flagpole...does that count? :biggrin:

I just have had an aversion for tilting buildings for along time...I love your shot, but it feels like it is falling over to me in the original....that's all. Peace.

Yeah the issue with shooting wide like that is that vertical lines will gain more "perspective" than they should, which is why there are specialized programs to help fix that. What I have here is aligned on the horizon pretty well with what I'm centered on, so I leave it at that. I just don't have that much extra time to work on each selected shot like this to get it online in time to make these details come out just right, so the PE who likes it will choose to either use the photo adjustments, or crop like your suggestion, either will make it look very nice, and I would be fine with that.

Also, I'm careful not to "over cook" what I'm uploading or I'll have issues. This means also having an image look like this one, to the naked eye that flag pole was straight up and down, but through the lens and at 18mm it bends to the middle slightly. Damned if you do, damned it you don't, but get it in on time!! :wink:

I'll also bet your AP photog friends don't shoot that wide that often for that very reason, then they would have to make those adjustments on their own, and on site too, that cuts into their time to shoot and threatens making their deadline. I know, since I see what the local AP 'togs do with their shots, which is why they don't go more than 70mm for action, or even about 50mm in the dugouts. I often watch them run some PP tasks to make a shot even tighter, and to make adjustments for an online audience. Tight is right makes the deadlines, gets printed, and also causes for less work in PP too.

I know where you're coming from, this is a great example of how shooting like this can be even trickier than it looks, and so you really have to be aware of the results.

Awesome set Steve. I never get tired of looking at your stuff. And I know you know how sick I was that the Tigers swept my beloved White Sox. :mad: I'm going to start to sound like Ozzie here in a minute. :smile: The Dodgers are really struggling too. Joe Torre has his work cut out for him there. Again, great set! Whine over.

Hey Tyrone,
Keep whining, your Pale Hose are still in 1st place right? :smile:

Thanks Larry,
Torre is one of my favorites for a "sportrait" since he is SOOOO cool and has such subtle emotions and expressions. Jim Leyland is my 1A choice since I get him much more often, followed closely by Ordonez, Pudge, and now Cabrera.

D

D3MAN

do "AP friends" change the angles in their shots before uploading-that's a new one. most of the guys I know just let 'em fly. btw, i thought in editorial you pretty much try to only touch color/level (as in correct it) and a crop...maybe a very, very light sharpen, but not much. nice shots but i can't stand jeff kent no matter how much you try to make him look good. what's yr thought on cutting off pitchers? i tend to shoot them full body for stock--more market for it....just a thought as i sell more that way. (maybe you cut them off for posting here?)

Nice set of images Steve liek the belnd of action and candids

Thanks Mike! I so seldom post the non action stuff that it was about time to share them.

do "AP friends" change the angles in their shots before uploading-that's a new one. most of the guys I know just let 'em fly. btw, i thought in editorial you pretty much try to only touch color/level (as in correct it) and a crop...maybe a very, very light sharpen, but not much. nice shots but i can't stand jeff kent no matter how much you try to make him look good. what's yr thought on cutting off pitchers? i tend to shoot them full body for stock--more market for it....just a thought as i sell more that way. (maybe you cut them off for posting here?)

Thanks, and Jeff Kent is pretty "cool" and quiet to everyone, but not stand offish though. As far as cutting off pitchers goes you have to do it at the knees or waist, pretty much that's where it looks the best. Obviously full body is good, but sometimes you just have to get something else for them to see. I've had several shots that were EXACTLY like the local AP guys, and theirs were printed (of course) and the cut off was at the waist or just above the knees. Mid calf is bad, ankles are worse, losing hands or arms just as bad.
As far as PP goes, the rules are that nothing done is good, minimal is best. These shots are for editorial use not art where you can remake the picture to fit the mood, and I was told recently, as well as years ago too, that you're reporting the news NOT making it. Slight touch up in PP like auto levels or auto color is pretty much what good film processing did for you without your knowledge.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom