Baseball, Hot dogs, Apple pie...

D

D3MAN

steve

generally, you do not what to shoot the same images AP does or even the other wire shooters--simple reason, they get way more exposure given size of their company and number of contracts they have with papers/mags--plus the mags only pay something like $15 to $25 for the shoot due to the contract. if you shoot for a smaller stock co, consider shooting for that "different" look. also try to move away from the 'other' shooters for part of the game--again to gain a different view. i sold several hundred to mags/commer accounts last year, and this seems to hold out as a strategy. again, just one persons view and your mileage may vary significantly. also, shooting loose has many advantages, most important is that the editor chooses the crop, not the shooter. for commercial or double pagers, this really helps--i've made espn's final board several times with too tight of a shot--and lost out due to it. none of this takes away from your excellent work here, but some experiences i've had over the past 5-6 years of doing this. i'm from the bay area, so jeff kent is pretty universally hated up here--but so are the dodgers

Those are all good points, and I usually don't end up where the AP guys do, on purpose. With only three of the four photo wells being optimal shooting positions it makes it tough though. I've been trying to shoot just slightly loose, but the PE I hear from doesn't like it, and he doesn't like it AT ALL!!!! So I go wide on purpose like the stadium shots too. The shot I had in ESPN the mag in April was bat on ball, dented ball and bent bat, sharp, tight, and great color. The "spec" wire services really don't want much that's very different at all, so I post that to my Photoshelter Collection, and even half of those are turned down by the PE's there too. Go figure.

BTW, I get the attitude on Jeff Kent and the Dodgers, so I'm sure you like that the Tigers swept them before coming out to SBC Park, and losing a bad one to the "G men" last night. :smile:

Lucky 13!

thirteen tells the whole story of baseball. reaching out for that impossible pitch and pulling out a single for the team...

The catcher looks like he's still waiting to feel the ball hit the glove, and won't give up on that thought until long after the runner is safely at first...

thirteen tells the whole story of baseball. reaching out for that impossible pitch and pulling out a single for the team...

The catcher looks like he's still waiting to feel the ball hit the glove, and won't give up on that thought until long after the runner is safely at first...

Hey thanks!! I really liked that shot too, this big kid was going the other way and not trying to power the ball and end up striking out, nice.

BTW, it happened again!! In yesterday's paper the AP shooter posted a shot just like mine in #11 and his was printed. There's nothing you can do about this since they're the AP, and most papers get their feed for only about $5 per picture, so I just chalk it up again, experience. For action like that you just gotta shoot it.

What great pics. I love the Tigers and Photography, so these threads of yours combine the best of both worlds for me

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom