Baseball May 12

I shot a double-header today and switched metering from Matrix to Center Weighted because the sun was overwhelmingly tough. Not sure if I like the results and I would appreciate your thoughts. These images are cropped tightly. All taken with a D2H, 300mm VR and 1.4x TC on a monopod.

78653748.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 95243

View attachment 95244

View attachment 95245

View attachment 95246

Frank,

I think these are excellent! Sharp, saturated and good capture of action. 2 & 3 are a tad dark in the face but when they're not looking into the light, what can ya do? The whites aren't blown, lots of detail throughout......I think you did a great job, you should be pleased! :smile:

Hey Frank,

Great job shooting today there buddy. It looks to me like you got that catcher shot you've been trying to get. That is the one my friend, that is the one. These are all spot on and outstandingly sharp that last one. WOW! GOOD LORD, WOW!

Frank,

I think these are excellent! Sharp, saturated and good capture of action. 2 & 3 are a tad dark in the face but when they're not looking into the light, what can ya do? The whites aren't blown, lots of detail throughout......I think you did a great job, you should be pleased! :smile:

Thanks Gretchen, I think that I may have dialed in a bit too much negative EV because the two that you mentioned required quite a bit of brightening. I think that I needed to pay more attention to settings today.

Hey Frank,

Great job shooting today there buddy. It looks to me like you got that catcher shot you've been trying to get. That is the one my friend, that is the one. These are all spot on and outstandingly sharp that last one. WOW! GOOD LORD, WOW!

Thanks Ty, you are also so kind. I printed the catcher's shot to 13x19 and it came out much nicer than it appears here. I hope that he'll hang on his wall somewhere.

T

topher04r1

wow man ... after trying baseball i know how much time you invested in these shots..... nice job !!

Frank ... These look outstanding to me. Love that catcher shot also...

Man I wish I could shoot like you.

Love something about all of them!

1. The look and the seams on the ball
2. The ball and the dirt, great expression
3. Ball once again stopped in motion, detail in his cleats and his face (lips)
4. My absolute favorite; great action shot
5. Love the face, the dimple, and the detail in the seams

Amazing series.

Well, my sincerest thanks to all of you for offering your very kind comments. As many of you might admit, we are our own worst critics and I tend to nitpick my images to death. I have learned so much from all of you since becoming a member and without your direction and support, my photography would never have improved in the manner that it has. I am looking forward to better results in the future and it is all because of what you all bring here each and every day.

Exposure looks very good to me. Looks like you made the right choice metering. The shots were outstanding, as always. My favorites are the catcher and the guy jumping in the air w/ball in glove.

Nice shots Frank, I hope all the action was not in the 9th:biggrin:

I think it worked out real well or you Frank.

Exposure looks very good to me. Looks like you made the right choice metering. The shots were outstanding, as always. My favorites are the catcher and the guy jumping in the air w/ball in glove.

Thanks guys, this is all a tremendous learning opportunity. The next person at the ballfield who thinks we just push the shutter release to get decent shots gets a kick in the shins!

Fantastics shots frank. Very sharp and well cropped.
On #4, what is the object just to the right of his knee, is that something in the background?

Latest threads

Top Bottom