Baseball - May 23rd

Wow, the regular season has come to an end and now the regional games are taking place. Our team won in five innings by a score of 17 -7. Here are a few images, all taken with a D2H, 300mm and 1.4 TC.

1/2000th sec. @ f/4 Aperture Priority and Matrix Metering
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

1/1600th sec. @ f/4 Aperture Priority and Matrix Metering
View attachment 97219

1/3000th sec. @ f/4 Aperture Priority and Matrix Metering
View attachment 97220

1/2000th sec. @ f/5.6 Aperture Priority and Matrix Metering
View attachment 97221

1/2000th sec. @ f/5.6 Aperture Priority and Matrix Metering
View attachment 97222

This last shot was taken with a 70-200mm lens. 1/3000th sec. @ f5.6 Aperture Priority and Matrix Metering
View attachment 97223

Wow, awesome series here Frank. Pic #4 looks like he's sliding right into the camera. Super colors and all tack sharp.

these are all excellent.
since you are using that TC all the time anyway, don;t you think maybe you should seek out a 400 and be done with it? I promise not to say I told you so (oops, just did).

Wow, awesome series here Frank. Pic #4 looks like he's sliding right into the camera. Super colors and all tack sharp.
Outstanding images! Number #4....wow!!
Frank these may be your best yet. And I have been watching closely. Nice job.

It was number 4 that sold me.
These are all wonderful images. Great composition, great exposure, great action, great light.
Excellent series, Frank. you just raised your own bar a notch.
WOW Frank, these are awesome, really impressive
Wow great work Frank
Thanks very much everyone, I came away from this game feeling good with what I thought were quality action shots and those feelings were confirmed when I viewed them on the computer. I'm hopeful to be just as successful tonight...hopefully the rain will hold off long enough to shoot the game and get out of there.

these are all excellent.
since you are using that TC all the time anyway, don;t you think maybe you should seek out a 400 and be done with it? I promise not to say I told you so (oops, just did).
I honestly cannot take the TC off, I really like the added focal length and the perfomance of this lens is amazing when using the tele. If I could turn back the hands of time, I might have sought a used 400mm and used 300mm, but turning back those hands of time isn't possible. In the meanwhile, I am really enjoying the new lens and TC. Thanks for your kind words Twig.

B

Brew

Holy cow Frank, you do great work!!!!!

What was your shutter speed on some of these? I thought I was at a high enough shutter speed last night and still had motion blur on the ball in the pitchers hand.

You do that lens proud!!!! I need to save for one of those!!!

Frank - All I can say is outstanding.

I think you better change your profile name to "Butter"..., cause you "are on a roll with these shots"! :Crunk:

Great images Frank ..... #4 & #5 are outstanding.
Thanks Shekhar, very much appreciated.

Frank - All I can say is outstanding.

I think you better change your profile name to "Butter"..., cause you "are on a roll with these shots"! :Crunk:
Ahhhh....thanks Brian. You're too kind. As I have mentioned above, I am improving due to what I learn here from the regulars. We have a great core of regulars who make shooting sports and sharing so enjoyable.

Holy cow Frank, you do great work!!!!!

What was your shutter speed on some of these? I thought I was at a high enough shutter speed last night and still had motion blur on the ball in the pitchers hand.

You do that lens proud!!!! I need to save for one of those!!!
Thanks Bruce, I placed the EXIF data with each of the images above. I'm looking forward to seeing some images of your son and his teammates.

These are incredible, Frank!

I love how you always manage to get the dirt flying, it really shows the action in the images.
Thanks Joe, I love getting those "slide face-first back into first base" shots. This one wasn't too bad.

Frank, this series is incredible. Your technique is flawless as is your timing.

What ISO did you have to use to shoot at that speed? And did you have it set to auto ISO?

Frank, this series is incredible. Your technique is flawless as is your timing.

What ISO did you have to use to shoot at that speed? And did you have it set to auto ISO?
Thanks so much Ron, you are very kind. I was shooting at ISO 400 for this series. I am not one to use auto-ISO with confidence, so I either use one of the presets or use the Expodisk for a custom ISO setting.

T

topher04r1

Frank ... what can i say that hasn't allready been said by everyone else.....seriously though .... great work ..... i'll have to do some more test's with my tele on the 300 .... i've actually only used it once LOL

good luck with the rain

Frank ... what can i say that hasn't allready been said by everyone else.....seriously though .... great work ..... i'll have to do some more test's with my tele on the 300 .... i've actually only used it once LOL

good luck with the rain
Thanks Topher. I never, ever would have thought that I would enjoy the lens/TC combo so much. The performance is more than I could have ever expected. My keeper rate has increased tremendously since I started using this new gear. I highly recommend that you give your gear another try and I hope that you have the same success.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom