Baseball - May 23rd

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by eng45ine, May 23, 2007.

1. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Wow, the regular season has come to an end and now the regional games are taking place. Our team won in five innings by a score of 17 -7. Here are a few images, all taken with a D2H, 300mm and 1.4 TC.

1/2000th sec. @ f/4 Aperture Priority and Matrix Metering

1/1600th sec. @ f/4 Aperture Priority and Matrix Metering
    View attachment 97219

1/3000th sec. @ f/4 Aperture Priority and Matrix Metering
    View attachment 97220

1/2000th sec. @ f/5.6 Aperture Priority and Matrix Metering
    View attachment 97221

1/2000th sec. @ f/5.6 Aperture Priority and Matrix Metering
    View attachment 97222

This last shot was taken with a 70-200mm lens. 1/3000th sec. @ f5.6 Aperture Priority and Matrix Metering
    View attachment 97223

2. Wow, awesome series here Frank. Pic #4 looks like he's sliding right into the camera. Super colors and all tack sharp.

3. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Outstanding images! Number #4....wow!!

4. Frank these may be your best yet. And I have been watching closely. Nice job.

It was number 4 that sold me.

5. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    Excellent series, Frank. you just raised your own bar a notch.

6. WOW Frank, these are awesome, really impressive

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wow great work Frank

8. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    these are all excellent.
    since you are using that TC all the time anyway, don;t you think maybe you should seek out a 400 and be done with it? I promise not to say I told you so (oops, just did).

9. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks very much everyone, I came away from this game feeling good with what I thought were quality action shots and those feelings were confirmed when I viewed them on the computer. I'm hopeful to be just as successful tonight...hopefully the rain will hold off long enough to shoot the game and get out of there.

10. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I honestly cannot take the TC off, I really like the added focal length and the perfomance of this lens is amazing when using the tele. If I could turn back the hands of time, I might have sought a used 400mm and used 300mm, but turning back those hands of time isn't possible. In the meanwhile, I am really enjoying the new lens and TC. Thanks for your kind words Twig.

11. JMartin

JMartin Guest

These are incredible, Frank!

I love how you always manage to get the dirt flying, it really shows the action in the images.

12. Brew

Brew Guest

Holy cow Frank, you do great work!!!!!

What was your shutter speed on some of these? I thought I was at a high enough shutter speed last night and still had motion blur on the ball in the pitchers hand.

You do that lens proud!!!! I need to save for one of those!!!

13. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    Great images Frank ..... #4 & #5 are outstanding.

14. Bigmuddy

Bigmuddy

Feb 28, 2007
    Ohio
    Frank - All I can say is outstanding.

I think you better change your profile name to "Butter"..., cause you "are on a roll with these shots"! :Crunk:

15. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks Shekhar, very much appreciated.

Ahhhh....thanks Brian. You're too kind. As I have mentioned above, I am improving due to what I learn here from the regulars. We have a great core of regulars who make shooting sports and sharing so enjoyable.

Thanks Bruce, I placed the EXIF data with each of the images above. I'm looking forward to seeing some images of your son and his teammates.

Thanks Joe, I love getting those "slide face-first back into first base" shots. This one wasn't too bad.

16. I agree, some of your best work ever! The fourth one is just perfect.

17. Simba909

Simba909

Mar 2, 2006
    Miami, FL
    Frank, this series is incredible. Your technique is flawless as is your timing.

What ISO did you have to use to shoot at that speed? And did you have it set to auto ISO?

18. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks so much Ron, you are very kind. I was shooting at ISO 400 for this series. I am not one to use auto-ISO with confidence, so I either use one of the presets or use the Expodisk for a custom ISO setting.

19. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

Frank ... what can i say that hasn't allready been said by everyone else.....seriously though .... great work ..... i'll have to do some more test's with my tele on the 300 .... i've actually only used it once LOL

good luck with the rain

20. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks Topher. I never, ever would have thought that I would enjoy the lens/TC combo so much. The performance is more than I could have ever expected. My keeper rate has increased tremendously since I started using this new gear. I highly recommend that you give your gear another try and I hope that you have the same success.