1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Baseball & Nikon 80-400VR

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by racerx1, Aug 21, 2008.

1. racerx1

racerx1

Jan 13, 2006
    northern NJ
    I took some shots with my D3 and 80-400VR at a minor league game this past weekend. I had four 8-yr old boys in tow with me, so I didn't think it was a good idea to bring my Sigma 120-300 w/monopod - can't run to the concession stands or bathroom with it every time.

I have not take pics at a game before, other than Little League. Not the fastest lense and as evening came upon us, I had to ditch the lens since I couldn't get the shutter speed high enough.

These are a few of the ones that I thought came out well. I'd appreciate comments on making them better.

p19857575-5.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here's one with my 35mm of a bored fan.
    [​IMG]

2. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    not bad, on some of those earlier shots you iso looks to be around 2 to 400 at 1/200. You could move that up to 1/800 to 1/1000 and your iso I believe would be around 1600 which the D3 laughs at (might be higher but still, at 3200 ISO it is still low for the D3)

3. Some good action, like the last one...

As always, crop tight. I don't have a D3, but I think you could push it further than you did in terms of ISO to get a higher shutter speed. The action is good in all of the shots.

JMHO.

4. vz223

vz223

Dec 7, 2007
    NJ
    Nice shots John. I sat in the same area last year but was able to move up to the dugout area w/o question. I am headed there next Friday night. I assume you shot in Aperture. Next time try Manual and like the others said, bump up the ISO and crop, crop, crop!

5. racerx1

racerx1

Jan 13, 2006
    northern NJ
    I'll have to remember to shoot manual next time. Thanks for all the kind comments.

6. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    If you want to shoot in aperture just change your minimum shutter allowed in the ISO sensitivity settings.

Or just shoot manual and let the auto iso work.

7. i'm impressed considering the lens
    #1 is my #1

crank up that iso...go to 6400 if you have to

here's an easy way:
    shoot in Manual, f5.5, 1/500 and turn Auto ISO on and shoot away

since you have 400mm try to make your composures so cropping is minimal (too much cropping might show some noise)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.