Baseball Rocks!

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Bolts, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    I've had my D80 for about 3 months now and I've concentrated on shooting birds. Last night, however, Maddux was pitching for the Padres here at Tropicana Field against the Rays, and how often does one get to shoot a legend?

It was awesome! It took me about 100 shots before I found the semi-correct settings, and from then on, the fun was timing the shots to the action. The Kazmir shot below was my 112th shot.

All this and hockey is only 4 months away!

1. The Old Hotness

DSC_0079.

2. The New Hotness

DSC_0112.

3. The Big Orange Sponser Logo

View attachment 100533

4. The Relief

View attachment 100534

5. The Boot

View attachment 100535

6. The Man Who Hit The Bases-Loaded Homerun

DSC_0204.

These are all no crop, no PP except 1, 4 and 5 slightly lightened.

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Sports can be a nice diversion for someone who enjoys shooting birds, the opposite for me. You might try turning your camera to a portrait orientation when shooting only one player, that way you don't have alot of stray clutter to the side, while cutting off the legs. Just something to consider.

3. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    Thanks, Frank! With all the other camera things to worry about, I certainly have been forgetting to turn the camera. In fact, I went to see the shuttle take off the other day and totally forgot to turn the camera there, too.

This baseball game was so fun to shoot, I might just have to forget shooting birds. The beer and hotdogs are an added incentive!

4. JMartin

JMartin Guest

Nice shots, Pia.

The Trop is not the kindest of places to shoot. As bright as it looks inside, you can't fool the camera. I have several 20"x30" shots (most of Kazmir) hung on the wall at work, most of those were taken at 2.8 with +5 EV.

If you haven't made it out to any of them, try some of these minor league parks around the bay. I have a friend that is a S&C coach for the Pirates, so I go down to McKechnie Field to catch games occasionally.

5. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    Kasmir does take a nice photo, doesn't he? I had a lot more trouble shooting Maddux; I believe because he was wearing dark colors. All in all, I'm just happy I didn't get any mustard on my camera equipment.

This was my first day with my new used 70-300mm f4-5.6, which I picked up from Skip here at the Cafe. It took me 60 shots (3 innings) to figure out the only way I'd get enough light in was to set the ISO at 1600.

I'm going up 'home' to Atlanta in early July. I'll certainly be hitting a Braves game if they are in town. I can hardly wait.

Also, if you like shooting fast action sports, there's an ultimate frisbee tournament in St Pete in July. I played for years and photographed a few tournaments with my old fully manual Canon. It's a beautiful sport; I've heard it described as ballet with wind sprints. Both men and women will do a full lay-out for a disc. Let me know if you need a time, date, and place.

6. JMartin

JMartin Guest

You bet I do, if you could be so kind! This sounds like is would be a ton of fun to try and shoot.

My biggest problem with my sports photography is keeping players in focus while tracking their movements. Something like this event would be great practice.

7. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    JM, Here's the info on the ultimate tourney. The championship game at the end of the day does indeed run until dark. I plan on going around 6:00. Although the invite says play starts at 11:00, ultimate players have a total disregard for punctuality. There's a large shady area for resting and on certain fields you might be able to shoot from the shade also. Kids would be welcome if you feel like bringing them.

It’s the All Faiths Memorial Ultimate Frisbee Hat Tournament…
    14 years and still going strong!

Saturday July 21st
    Walter Fuller Park
    26th Ave. N. & 79th St. N.
    in Sunny St. Petersburg
    Registration 10-10:30 a.m.
    Play begins at 11 or so.
    We’ll be going until dark!

Directions: from I-275 head west on 22nd Ave. N. (NOT south),
    Pass the mall, turn right on 79th St.,
    turn left on 26th Ave. N. and it’s on the right.