Baseball / Softball with Nikon 1 V2

Here's a few from this season using my Nikon 1 V2 (mostly with FT1 adapter and Nikkor lenses with some 1Nikkor lenses).

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Cropped from 1Nikkor 10mm f/2.8

4. Cropped from 1Nikkor 10mm f/2.8

Love #3 where the batter is the only one with his eyes open. Nice capture.
How do you like working with these files as opposed to DSLR files. Density, malleability? Do the Nikkor lenses just get extended the way DX extends EX?
Thanks, Fred

The V2's 2.7 lens multiplier allows me to capture the batter's from the outfield fence. The V2's jpegs are much, much, nicer than one would expect from such a small sensor. But of course, as expected, are not as nice as a D4's jpegs. The V2's 15fps makes it easy to capture ball on (near) bat. Here's one with all eye's open.

The hit rate with the ball near bat is much, much, greater with the V2's 15fps. It's almost too easy with the V2. The D4's 10fps misses the ball more than it captures.

The V2 lens multiplier of 2.7 makes outfield fence shots of the batters easy with a 300mm lens. To do the same with a fullframe D4 would require a 800mm lens.

Quite nice, no doubt about it.

Of the "ball at bat" shots, how often are you hitting this? Most sequences or just a few? How many shots in a burst? Are you doing a "pre-focus", or just using AF-C?

I like 'em, looks like it is time to try a BIF or two just for grins.

It's too easy. If I shoot every pitch to a batter and he/she swings, at 15fps, I'll have captured ball on or near bat nearly every time. It's an amazing camera.

Shooting from behind outfield fence for the batting photos:

200mm for softball, and 300mm for baseball. Around here the girls' softball fence is around 200ft. The boys' baseball fence is around 300ft.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom