Based on YOUR monitor, how is this image?

How does this image appear on your monitor?

• Well saturated, highlights not horribly blown

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Flat, too hot, ?red levels off in skin?

Votes: 21 70.0%
  • Other (explain below)

Votes: 2 6.7%

• Total voters
I need some help here. I have one monitor that is calibrated (Spyder2), and my laptop which is not. I do the majority of my processing on the calibrated desktop, but the majority of my online cruising up here on my laptop.

There is (to me), a HUGE difference in the brightness factors of my two monitors. I'm not seeing color shifts, so much as too dark/too light differences, especially with regards to saturation and colors (or blown highlights).

I realize that not all monitors are calibrated, and so in some ways, it makes little difference.

But I am curious, as to how the majority (via poll) see these images (and which of my monitors I should be catering to).

I did this one (shot today) on my calibrated monitor. It looked great......saturated, moody. When viewed up here on my laptop, it looks hot and flat, and maybe too much red. :frown:

So, how does this image look on YOUR monitor? Is it a calibrated monitor or not?

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Gretchen, it looks a little red on mine also, not much. I am also seeing a flat tone quality, and the tops of the babies arms are blown just a tad. Not far off mind you, just enough you can tell. I am usuing a Dell 22" flat screen which is not calibrated so this may not help.
Tim

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you!!! :smile: :smile:

I've never been able to match the two (I can't seem to find a way to calibrate this one), but I'm willing to bet I'm not doing something right on my calibration. :redface:

I appreciate the help, I'll work on sorting this out tomorrow. :smile:

fks

it's way too bright on my LCD and still a tad bright on my CRT, both calibrated with a gretag eye one. but i know there's a brightness difference between the two.

ricky

On my laptop: Alienware with 17" LCD : Looks a bit washed out, but with good contrast

On my Gateway FHD 2400 HD monitor connected to my laptop: Definitely looks hot in the red department.

-meaty

this is tough because your customers are most likely going to be using noncalibrated monitors, but you need to PP on your calibrated monitor to get the real print to look right

catch 22

While not being a pro photographer, I do have a lot of electronics experience including computers/monitors/ and to some extent video calibration.

Even with a LCD the IQ you get is highly dependent on the ambient light. If you are outside on the patio the brightness/saturation/colors will be washed out compared to the same screen used inside.

So this begs the question: Did you calibrate the monitor in the same light you were using it when this image was created?

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
I have two monitors at home, both calibrated, one I keep slightly brighter but still pretty dark for normal work and web viewing (just a preference) the other I keep turned down even more, but the skin tones seem the same in both, slight red tint in both, the exposure looks about perfect on my second monitor, but the first isn't over exposed either, just the red skin tones is what I see.

so I checked other because of no blown areas on my viewing.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom