Bashakill WMA birds

A visit to the Bashakill WMA a few weekends ago was very productive. Nice spring day, and lots of activity. My first American Bittern, some surprisingly cooperative Wood Ducks, and a Tree Swallow posing for me.

Shot using a D200/Sigma 50-500/handheld

2011_05010143.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2011_05010155.jpg

2011_05010073.jpg

2011_05010005.jpg

2011_04300062.jpg

Real Name
Randy
I hope u don't mind:

1. a perfect shot and one of my fav birds
2. nice
3. the eye and head look a little soft
4. sweet but the bird in center takes away some, can u crop tighter behind her and add space in front
5. too hard to see the eyes and that perch detracts from the shot

Thanks for the comments Randy. That is why I come here, to learn and improve my images. I see what you mean on #3, surprised I did not catch that. #4 could be cropped differently, it was not a big crop, but I could get more space in front. I like #5 since it is looking right at me, but you are correct, they eye is not really visible, and I can see how that distracts from the image. I have learned that the eye is very important in bird photography.

I also need a tripod, but no funds. Handholding that Sigma 50-500 is not a good idea. Normally I use a monopod, but I had forgot to grab it that morning and was not about to go all the back home to get it.

Real Name
Randy
Thanks for the comments Randy. That is why I come here, to learn and improve my images. I see what you mean on #3, surprised I did not catch that. #4 could be cropped differently, it was not a big crop, but I could get more space in front. I like #5 since it is looking right at me, but you are correct, they eye is not really visible, and I can see how that distracts from the image. I have learned that the eye is very important in bird photography.

I also need a tripod, but no funds. Handholding that Sigma 50-500 is not a good idea. Normally I use a monopod, but I had forgot to grab it that morning and was not about to go all the back home to get it.

the eyes are everything for humans and animals and even insects

push the shutter speed to as fast as you can by increasing the iso (up to the point where the camera can still do ok) or by opening up the lens (keep in mind you still want good dof)....this will negate any camera shake and need for support.....

Latest threads

Top Bottom