Critique Bashful dancer

I don't even try to get these anymore- but they keep showing up.
Small pond in south Orlando. Sometimes the light and feeling are just right.
I tried the new adobe enhanced feature, that doubled image size. This is printed 40x60 and looks nice. I left some background- just a little- but really had very little post to do.
Go shoot more
gary

orlando4621  38754_DxO-Enhanced.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks all. It is such a pretty place to sit- and if I wait around stuff happens.
I am starting to tire of the black space- but somehow that is all I know how to shoot, it just keeps happening and is still so much fun.
It is also what I am known for locally, so I am not going to argue with some success.

Was this one of your large metal prints?
No, but I wish it was. I can print 40x60 paper myself.
The big metal print project got put on covid hold. Since they can not have anyone really come into the business they are holding off on any art upgrades. Hopefully this turns around soon. They have already picked out images and I have learned not to add new work into the mix once a client is happy with their decisions. It makes them rethink everything. They do have some 20x30" metal test prints, which they love and are presently hung in their home.
gary

Mike, thanks for such kind words.
I shot this beauty for about 15min, over 100 images. She even gave me a nice wingspread.
There was something about this image, what Jay Maisel calls the gesture. The gesture can overcome anything in photography- but when you also have a great subject in nice light- and magic happens.
This was also my favorite of the day, the only one I printed.
thanks again for such support.
gary

Thanks!!
I look for areas with dark shadow backgrounds. I have a couple of spots that this just works. I pick the stage and hope players come. They don’t always, and I often walk away with nothing. I am hoping for a bird out in front of the shadows. Spot meter on the bird, you don’t even have to underexpose. In this file FastRawViewer has one overexposed pixel out of 61million, essentially perfect Ettr. The background will just fall to black. Mirrorless wysiwhg makes this really easy. It may help I have been doing this for 20 years. Still sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn’t. But I only need one and I had a good day.
Gary

Real Name
Dan
Yeah I'd have a hard time not tripping the shutter on that one. Beautiful image.

I don't even try to get these anymore- but they keep showing up.
Small pond in south Orlando. Sometimes the light and feeling are just right.
I tried the new adobe enhanced feature, that doubled image size. This is printed 40x60 and looks nice. I left some background- just a little- but really had very little post to do.
Go shoot more
gary

View attachment 1681846
Gorgeous shot Gary, I do like the dark background and at 1st looks like a B&W image until your eyes land on the beak. Really a wonderful image and could see it as a large acrylic print..

I appreciate the renewed interest in one of my favorite images.
I like the selective color look, without having to actually do selective color techniques. It is just white and dark- and then the beak.
Jay Maisel used to call this look colorless color.
This does really look terrific large. I can print up to 44" wide in my studio- and large this is hanging in a few houses.
I would love to see this as an acrylic print- maybe someday.
gary

Latest threads

Top Bottom