Basic Circular Polarizer Question

Hi there,

I know some people are divided about whether they use a protective filter for their lenses or not, but I am curious for those who do whether they remove it when using a Polarizer filter. Do you take the NC filter off and put on the Polarizer or just keep them both on?

Thanks very much.

Jim

Thanks for the quick responses. All of the above advice makes sense so I think I'll be swapping them out when shooting.

I'd like to say I swapped mine out every time. That is the ideal solution to avoid all the problems that come when you start stacking. With that said, I have to admit that I rarely do that when in the heat of battle, so to speak.:eek: So far I haven't been able to tell any difference in this regard, knock on wood. Or maybe my eyesight is just too far gone for me to see the differences.:frown: I should note that I rarely do any scenics or other type of work that goes a little more slowly.

I would use one or the other, but I saw a nice photo today (I think on Nikon Cafe) where the shooter coupeld his CP with a ND filter for a great effect.

I would use one or the other, but I saw a nice photo today (I think on Nikon Cafe) where the shooter coupeld his CP with a ND filter for a great effect.
That can be very effective indeed as you are stacking effects, but there is no useful purpose in keeping a UV filter on with a CP. That said, I've been lazy and stacked UV and CP from time to time and the IQ has been fine provided the lens was ~30mm+.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom