1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Basic Real Estate Photography -- Looking for some C&C

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by stayathomedad, Jul 13, 2008.

1. stayathomedad

stayathomedad

Mar 11, 2008
    Alaska
    I have a little side work where I do basic real estate photos for use in flyers and online MLS listings.

Would like some feedback on some images - http://thehickoks.com/layer8/websites/11600franceselaine

D300 - tokina 12-24 - and a bit of the sb600

Basic post in ACR - nothing fancy.

I charged $65 for everything... including a domain name and the website...

2. spoot

spoot

Aug 29, 2007
    Vancouver
    Pretty good shots. Do you use the wider end mostly? I found that even 18mm isn't wide enough, but this is as wide as my lens collection goes. I think you could charge more though.

3. stayathomedad

stayathomedad

Mar 11, 2008
    Alaska
    most were at 12mm

4. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Pretty nice images, I would suggest unless you upped your price that the time involved in fixing the perspective really wouldn't pay for your time and these are just fine as shot and a nice quick fast job. My compliments.

Getting the door frames and photo frames and corners vertical is the goal on higher end interior shots, along with good exposure out the windows too. I use multiple exposures, tripod, etc. to get good window/interior results or several flashes to light the interior and meter for the window exterior. Also, consider using a lens that has less distortion like a 35 f2 or 50mm and stitching together several images, or spend the bucks for a PC/Tilt lens, but that is a high dollar item.

well done with a nice rig,

what I strive for but have never even come close too:

http://www.jimroofcreative.net/main.php

http://www.jeffreyjacobsphoto.com/home.asp

Wade

5. LeeF

LeeF

May 24, 2008
    Massachusetts, USA
    I like your work and the product that you produce but you're way underpaid.

6. stayathomedad

stayathomedad

Mar 11, 2008
    Alaska
    you people sound like my wife! ha!

I charge $45 just for the photos... the $65 is for the photos plus the website/domain...

7. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Charge more, and 12mm + 1.5x crop = 18mm :smile:

Great shots! I agree, some HDR's would look great so you can get the outside of the windows and not just white light!

8. I have some suggestions for you on composition essentially for the photos. I also had my b/f look at them because he's a Realtor (I also take his photos for his marketing) & there's a couple of things he pointed out too in what he would want in his photos on his marketing materials.

#63 Bathroom: seems to be looking down at the bathroom too much not a level view. (this actually goes for all the shots of the 2 bathrooms). It was really distracting to me.

#66 was a very nice photo, didn't seem like the viewer was looking down so much, where as #69 the living room in the background was distracting from the kitchen which is what is trying to be showcased, I do realize you were trying to show how open the kitchen was to the living room, my b/f felt that if you did it from the angle it was much better and less distracting, which I believe you did do in another shot.

#67 looks down too much

#68 my b/f really looked at this one & thought the picture window should have been a focal point as it can be a huge selling point in a home.

In one of the bedroom shots the bed seemed to be a little tilted that kinda bugged me, but to the untrained eye it probably isn't noticeable.

As I said many of the shots seemed to be looking down a lot, so I suggest using a tripod (if you didn't use one originally) and keeping it at the same height & camera tilt for all the shots through out the house.
    The home looks like it was a beautiful home to be photographing and overall you did really well with the shots.

I was going to go back through the photos again right before posting this, but the link isn't working.

I hope these ideas are helpful to keep in mind for the future :) 

btw, charge more if you are doing website work. I charge $45 and that's roughly 25 shots of the home, high res & low res for the client, and other editing that may be needed. $65 for all those shots & the webpage is too low.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.