Basics for Little League?

Teach me?

My son plays 7-8 y.o. Coach Pitch. I'd like to get some good, dynamic shots of him and the rest of the boys in action for a slideshow presentation at the end of the season.

We have morning, afternoon, and night games. I'd like to try to get some of each for variety. Batting, running and throwing seem to be best because you can tell what they're doing, as opposed to tracking or catching unless you catch the ball in the frame.

I'd LOVE to catch a few BoB. We'll see.

I have the 18-105 and an 80-400 lenses on hand.

Thanks in advance. I know I can count on y'all to get me started in the right direction.

At that age, I'd ask the other Coaches if they'd mind if you got on the field behind the Coach pitching. Shoot with the sun in the batter's face. Or, stand down @ 1st & get the close up expression of that burst of super human speed the little guy's show when sprinting to 1st base after that HUGE hit !!! Parents will love those shots.
Again, play the Sun. You'll need the light in your subjects faces.

Depending on the league, I really doubt you will get to stand on the field, especially near the pitching coach.

My son plays coach pitch, and when I'm not keeping the books for the game, I get to take photos. I got a chance to ask the commissioner if I can be in foul territory near the dugout during the game. He had no issue as long I looked out and was cautious. At the last game, I one-kneed it as low as possible near fence by the on-deck circle down the first base line. I shoot with my 70-200 with 1.4TC attached.

Next game I hope to shoot down the 3rd base side so I can get photos of my southpaw son, and more plays on the bases.

Usually the refs and coaches don't have a problem with you on the field as long as you stay out of the way. I like to sit on the foul line just past first and get the kids running up the base line. sitting by the dugout gets good shots of the kids on first base and sliding into second. Dugout position on the third base side is good for the 'southpaws' - I usually switch after both teams have gone through the batting order once. I'll hang out there for a while to get some kids coming down the line to third. If you can get just outside the fence looking down the line to third across home plate you can get some good slides and steals that way, but I don't know how much of that you'll see in 7-8 yo's.
Good luck!

Depending on the league, I really doubt you will get to stand on the field, especially near the pitching coach.

Just to be specific - I meant on the field where the ball is in play (ie, near the pitching coach). They usually do not have an issue if you are in foul territory and away from the ball.

There is no way I'm getting on the field of play, no matter what league it is. It isn't about getting hit by a ball either as one hit by little league probably wouldn't hurt.

It is just the chance of affecting the play on the field. Looking through a lens will not give you time to get out of the way. If you get in the way of little Johnny making a play, even in foul territory that could win the game, you are going to be dealing with parents which can hurt more than a ball can.

This biggest tip to shooting little league is to get as low to the ground as possible.

IMHO, I would ask the league and always ask every ump if you can shoot against the wall/fence just past the dugouts. First base side for lefty batters, 3rd-ss-2nd base defensive plays, double plays, 2nd base steals, etc. Third base side for left and center outfield, righty batters, and plays at first base.

IMHO, I would ask the league and always ask every ump if you can shoot against the wall/fence just past the dugouts. First base side for lefty batters, 3rd-ss-2nd base defensive plays, double plays, 2nd base steals, etc. Third base side for left and center outfield, righty batters, and plays at first base.
i think you got he batters mixed up :tongue:

1st = righty and 3rd = lefty,

unless i was batting on the wrong side of the plate all those years ???? (i'm a lefty)

I'm a bit out of it today. :tongue: I will say though, if the batters are known to be hitters, you can get great shots from the "wrong" side. Some of my favorite shots are after the hit but before the bat hits the ground... some great faces can be had.

I'd LOVE to catch a few BoB. We'll see.
err, i'm an Aussie and i've never shot baseball.

what's BoB mean? to me, it means Bug Out Bag, a bag full of essential survival kit in case of major disaster.

I have the 18-105 and an 80-400 lenses on hand.

at a guess, i'd say these lenses aren't super fast glass, so you'll probably be restricted to shooting when there's plenty of light.

no big deal and i'm sure you'll still get plenty of snaps.

Bat on Ball

Works for cricket too :)

BOFB

ball on flat bat = better for cricket :tongue::tongue::tongue:

This thread made my LOL

aha, so, you mean like these i shot on Saturday?

lrsr22108.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

lrsr22164.jpg

in any case, the pic i'll run from Saturday's 40-Over district cricket competition Grand Final is this one:

lrsr21989.jpg

the skipper (at right) appeals for LBW and gets it from the umpire (the dude in the straw hat).

technobabble: D3s, 400/2.8, TC20EII. ISO varied as the clouds kept coming and going all afternoon.

My son plays coach pitch, and when I'm not keeping the books for the game, I get to take photos. I got a chance to ask the commissioner if I can be in foul territory near the dugout during the game. He had no issue as long I looked out and was cautious. At the last game, I one-kneed it as low as possible near fence by the on-deck circle down the first base line. I shoot with my 70-200 with 1.4TC attached.

Next game I hope to shoot down the 3rd base side so I can get photos of my southpaw son, and more plays on the bases.

That is almost CREEPY!

I keep the books for Austin's team (you got an iPad??? ESPN's iScore App makes scorekeeping a BREEZE!), I shoot pics as often as I can between innings and before and after the game, AND!!!! the real kicker, Austin ALSO bat's left handed!

Thanks SO much for all the tips guys. I had thought about going out on the field, as it is pretty common to see parents out there in-game, but haven't had the opportunity as of yet.

Thanks thank thanks again guys! Those BoB shots are awesome, BTW!!!

I wish I could use my iPad to keep score. They take these games pretty serious at times - and everything is old-school.

I wish I could use my iPad to keep score. They take these games pretty serious at times - and everything is old-school.

Oh man, if they only knew. It takes all the guesswork and potential human error out of it. I will never use a paper book again, and our coaches and parents love how it compiles stats on-the-fly. Head coach has full game stats and a graphic of what the paper book WOULD look like in his inbox before we leave the ball field. It. Is. Awesome.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom