Basilica of St Josephat, Milwaukee -- D850

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by gnagel, Nov 30, 2017.

1. This set completes the photographs that I captured during my three day trip to Wisconsin! The trip included visits to 7 architectural sites. Click here if you wish to view the images from the other 6 locations.

This final location is the Basilica of St Josephat. I wasn't sure what to expect when I entered this historic site. This was third basilica in the United States. I was stunned at the magnitude of the dome. I later learned that upon completion, this dome was the largest of any building in the nation with the exception of the United States Capitol building in Washington, DC!

Here are some of my favorites from my visit:

p2651863204-5.

p2651862931-5.

p2651862929-5.

p2651863196-5.

p2651863321-5.

p2651862927-5.

p2651862928-5.

p2651863237-5.

p2651863388-5.

p2651862926-5.

11- Lower Church (in basement below main church)
    p2651863437-5.

All images captured with the Nikon D850. The more I shoot with the D850, the more I like it.

Thanks for looking...
    Glenn

• Like Like x 2
  2. Glenn - These are terrific shots; just beautiful. Looks like you have the operation of the 850 down pat. Thanks for posting.

3. All are very nice but #6 is especially so for me because of the interest from foreground, through middle ground and all the way to the rear and because of the wonderfully long reflection of the alter area in the floor.

4. Glenn, Wow, great shooting, I really like all of them, what a wonderful church and what great shots. Glad you are liking the D850. For me it keeps getting better and better the more I use it.

How did you get all the shots with no people in them?

Cheers,
    alexis and Georgie Beagle

"no people? easy, just pull the fire alarm..." -Georgie Beagle

"Bad Dog!!!" - mom

5. Yet another amazing series of shots and like Mike above #6 is my favorite and for all the same reasons.

6. Thanks John
    Thanks Mike...the foreground interest adds depth to that image. Thanks again.
    Thank you! I set up this photo shoot in advance. The basilica granted permission for me to photograph the interior in exchange for a donation of the images. It was an amazing experience having this interior to myself for nearly two hours.
    Thanks Gordon...it was another amazing location. That might be it for amazing locations now until I go to Iceland later this Winter.

Glenn

7. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Stunning images, Glenn! The first one shows not only the grandeur of the building...but also the size. #2 and D10 are graphic delights! #4 highlights the beautiful paintings with their rich colors. #6 highlights more of the total basilica, from the pews toward the back of the church. And #7 is beautiful and adds variety to the group of images. And the ones I didn't single out are excellent also!

8. Glenn, these are stunning. #2 took my breath away. I love the composition and the colors you've captured. I'm also partial to #3 with the pews giving some foreground balance to the lofty ceilings.

I hope you make time to visit Hallgrim's Church in Reykjavik. I wandered around there in a blizzard, but you could create some striking photos if the weather cooperates.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  9. Every one a winner, beautiful architecture and photographs. I can imagine how much detail you are seeing in the large files from the 850.

10. Thanks Mitch...I am definitely planning on visiting Hallgrim's Church. I'm just hoping that I can gain access to a lit interior!
    Thank you, John...the detail in the D850 files is amazing. In an earlier series of photos, I was shocked that I could see the second hand on a relatively small clock in the back of a mosque.

Glenn

• Like Like x 1
  11. Thanks Karen...I appreciate you taking the time to view and comment on my photos!

This might be the last of my major photo shoots until Iceland.

Glenn

12. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    I would definitely like to visit Hallgrim's Church! Let's see if we can do it! LOL!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. A beautiful basilica which you captured, a joy to look at this set.

Cheers

14. Thanks Alan...I'm glad that the beauty of the basilica comes through in the pictures. It was almost overwhelming to try to photograph the interior.

Glenn

15. merlin

merlin

Oct 12, 2010
    Northern New Mexico
    Merlin Emrys
    Terrific work, as always! I esapecially like the ones of the dome.

16. Thanks Merlin...much appreciated

Glenn

17. Beautifully done as usual, Glenn. The photos show an amazing amount of detail. You're getting great use out of that D850, but I expected as much.

Hope you have better luck than we did. There was a rehearsal for a music performance going on in the sanctuary when we were there and no one was admitted.

18. Thanks Jim...I'm very pleased with the D850 so far.

I'll be staying near the church for a couple of days (within walking distance), so if there's any open window I'll make sure to be there then. I've photographed nearly 200 churches now--and most require return visits!

Glenn