Basketball, track and softball

I've done a lot more T&I work this spring than in the past (that's a good thing) and I also have my daughter playing on an AAU basketball team so couple those obligations with the poor weather here in the East to start to the spring season and I haven't been out much to shoot. Never the less, have caught a few events here and there. Here is a mixture of the last couple of weeks. Let me know what you think.

1. High Jump: D3s, 70-200 with 1.4 TC. Settings: f/5, ISO 900, 1/1250
d3s_5384.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Pole Vault: same equipment as above. Settings f/4, ISO 640, 1/1000. I go back and forth on this one. I've shot this girl for the last couple of years and wanted something a little different. I not sold on the coach being in the background, then again it is kind of neat how his head is framed between her body and the pole. Thoughts?
d3s_5839.jpg

3. AAU basketball: D3s, 70-200. Settings: f/2.8, ISO 5000, 1/800
d3s_8485.jpg

4. AAU baskeball: Settings same as previous
d3s_8500.jpg

5. Watching it fly. D3s, 70-200 with 1.7tc. Settings f/5.6, ISO 1000, 1/1250, 340mm
d3s_9020.jpg

6. Shortstop toss. D3s, 300/2.8. Settings f/4, ISO 500, 1/1250
d3s_9347.jpg

7. The pitch. Settings same as last picture, but 1/1600
d3s_9408.jpg

8. Settings same as last.
d3s_9416.jpg

Great pics. They don't pole vault around here.

What does T&I stand for. Never figured that out.

Nice series. I like the composition and expression on #8 the best!

Thanks Pete

Pole vault shot it my favorite.

Thanks Steve. I like shooing the pole vault. There are a lot of different angles that you play with.

nice work Randy, that TC 1.7 stayed sharp for you.

re: #2, how about cropping in real tight, just above her waist?

Thanks Chris. I've always been happy with my 1.7tc although I don't usually use it with the 70-200 so this was a bit of an experiment. Still a little soft, but usable. Funny you mentioned that crop as I did try it. I like it, but this was a pretty good crop to between with by by the time I cropped it tight I ran out of enough pixels to make an larger prints.

Great pics. They don't pole vault around here.

What does T&I stand for. Never figured that out.

Thanks Brent. I didn't know there were states that didn't vault. But it is a bit of a danger so I'm sure that's why. We don't throw the javelin here in NY (high school) for safety reasons.

Nice series, Randy.

Thanks for looking Cliff.

For #2, I think a shot taken a fraction of a second later where her feet are off the ground could be more dynamic. The challenge here is that you were using a focal length of 105mm and you were close to the athlete. As she moved up, her face might not be visible. By moving back and using a longer focal length, you might be able to see her face since the angle between your camera and her is not as steep. With this approach, you are shooting up and there is less background distraction.

Here is an example.

original.jpg

That's a nice shot Mike. That type of shot is pretty dependent on the background to start with. At this local there is a school and the bleachers. Nothing nice and green. Also, the girls don't get very high in the air as most of them only clear between 7' and 8' around here. I have pretty much the same shot as yours, but you can see she isn't much more than 6 feet in the at this point. <p>
D3S_5856.jpg

Randy great series! I really like the high jump! The Hornell batter is also very good! I sure wish I could get my photos with the 1.7 TC that sharp...

I was up your way last weekend. Went home to see my Mom for Mothers Day and took in a Rams' boys lax game. I didn't bring my equipment - I had to go to Boston right after for business.

Todd

Randy great series! I really like the high jump! The Hornell batter is also very good! I sure wish I could get my photos with the 1.7 TC that sharp...

I was up your way last weekend. Went home to see my Mom for Mothers Day and took in a Rams' boys lax game. I didn't bring my equipment - I had to go to Boston right after for business.

Todd

At least you got to a lax game. I haven't been able to make one yet this year (and they are having their best season ever). I'm hoping to go tonight, but of course the weather is suppose to be showers. Oh well, I'll shoot some in the rain. Game start time is 5:30PM so couple that overcast skies and light rain and I'll be ISO 3200 to start the game. Isn't spring the time when my camera gets to see ISO 200-400 once in awhile:Curved:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom