Bat Cave in TX

We spent a week in Mason a few years ago, photographing the bats at Eckert James River Bat Cave Preserve. It was really a great experience!

Dianne, the preserve is run by the Nature Conservancy. It's accessed by gravel roads and there is a river crossing that we had no problems crossing in a small rental car. At the time we visited, the bats were going out about 100 miles to feed, so they were leaving early, before sunset. Snakes are common near the entrance of the cave where they catch emerging bats, or young that fall to the floor. Red-tailed hawks were there too, diving through the cloud of bats in the sky, catching and eating them while in flight.

My shots are on film, and all my slides are at our house in Homer, 450 miles south of where we are now.

I used wide angle lenses to photograph the bats emerging from the cave. I was given permission to get close to the entrance, and I stayed low, and the bats flew over my head a few feet from me. Many of them ran into me, but it didn't bother me at all. They are so small, it felt like a moth when they hit me.

I used a long lens to photograph the hawks in the cloud of bats (I did that from the parking area).

We also really enjoyed Mason. We stayed in a small B&B. Town was really friendly.

Oh Steve, sounds just like what Jana (bat granny) said! I'm planing to take both the D50 and D200, then my lenses are the 18-200vr, 80-200mm 2.8, and my 300mm f4. I also have the 50mm 1.8 but figure the other lenses should work okay. We've been staying in touch with the lady that runs the place and she assured me I'd get tons of photos! So, I'm just gonna go and have a good time with the family. I hope I'll be brave enough to sit on the front row or perhaps even closer. I can't thank you enough for your response! I'm even more excited about our trip now! I just hope I'll be able to get my settings right for this!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom