Batch Conversions: crops don't convert

I am having an issue related to batch conversions of images.

I shoot in RAW (NEF) using the Adobe RGB color space. Often I post images from school and community events (swim meets, plays, etc.) on websites for participants and parents to see. Before posting them, I convert from Adobe RGB to sRGB and save them as JPEGs.

Here is a problem that I have encountered. Before converting the batch, I will adjust some of the images individually. Among other edits, I will crop and/or straighten some images, which I then save in their original NEF format.

When I then convert the entire batch (edited and un-edited images) to sRGB and JPEG, using the batch process, some edits that I made appear in the converted JPEG files, but the crop and straighten edits do not. In order for those edits to appear, I have to save the files with those edits individually by converting them to sRGB and saving them as JPEGs one at a time. This is time consuming and creates organization problems.

This does not make sense to me because all of the edits -- crop, straighten as well as LCH, curves, noise reduction, etc. -- appear as edit steps. Why should all edits except crop and straighten convert?

The batch I run is simple. I apply a saved adjustment that merely converts the color space from Adobe RGB to sRGB, and I have the process save the images as JPEGs. When I run the batch, I Replace settings rather than Append.

Any thoughts on why the crop and straighten edits are not appearing in the files converted?

Any thoughts on why the crop and straighten edits are not appearing in the files converted?
I have never tried it but this doesn't surprise me. Unless all of the images were captured using the exact same focal length using a tripod, the crop and straighten edit steps would be accurate only for one image. That's because it's a common complaint that those two edit steps are relative rather than absolute.

EDIT: The more I think about this, I actually have no idea why those steps aren't applied. If you are batch processing a settings file that includes those two edit steps, it seems to me that they should be applied.

Might that be because you replace the settings instead of appending them?
YES,that was the problem. I normally apply batch settings that affect things like white balance, etc., and so I want to replace those settings. I ran an experiment and determined that, for this type of batch process, I do, indeed, want to Append, rather than Replace the settings. Simple fix.

My goof!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom